Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Congaree (642 Views)
Posted by: ColoradoCapper (IP Logged)
Date: November 04, 2003 12:35AM

Interestingly, and related to this discussion of Sheets vs. TG, I have used both, but have used neither for a long enough time to brag on, or bitch about, either. In the past, I have always made my own numbers, and even at times used either the Beyer numbers, the Brisnet numbers, or others from many sources. I could do this effectively since I in the past, have only used speed numbers and pattern analysis within the framework of a comprehensive handicapping attack where different factors get used more or less depending on the type or race. That being said, I have been trying to figure out which of the big two I want to use on a go forward basis. For the entire week of the BC, I invested at the track with three handiappers whom I respect immensely and try to learn from every time I'm with them. One of them would rather not get up in the morning if he didn't have his TG numbers. The other two bag on my first friend every time we are together since they have been Raggies since the dawn of time I think.

As the post above pointed out, I had the same experience on BC day as the raggies couldn't believe some of the bets my TG friend was making (and cashing many). But what the earlier post didn't say, which I experienced many many times over the week, were the times where my TG friend was almost puking over how bad the raggie bets were, and guess what, they cashed many as well. Just as they both laughed at a number of my bets (which thankfully, many were cashed). The point is that as JB has said, every methodology of fig making is going to have its strengths and weaknesses, and the key is to understand the framework you are working within. Even if you put two TG users together, they probably won't make the exact same plays usually.

This is what keeps the parimutuel market happy and healthy!

I have in the past made made my living managing mutual funds and hedge funds, and I have seen the same thing with stock market professionals. Just because someone makes a bad (or good) investment doesn't mean they are bad (or good) investors. The key is to make sure the framework is sound, then find value for your decisions, hopefully becoming a consistent winner over the longer term.

Sorry to be so long winded, but just figure I would add my two cents worth; well maybe 1 1/2 cents worth anyway.

CC

Subject Written By Posted
Congaree (1044 Views) TGJB 11/03/2003 03:21PM
Re: Congaree (623 Views) 11/03/2003 04:56PM
Re: Congaree (682 Views) brokerstip 11/03/2003 11:35PM
Re: Congaree (642 Views) ColoradoCapper 11/04/2003 12:35AM
Re: Congaree (618 Views) Catman Millio 11/04/2003 11:12AM
Re: Congaree and Frankel in the BC (632 Views) derby1592 11/04/2003 11:32AM
Re: Congaree and Frankel in the BC (631 Views) 11/04/2003 01:39PM
Re: Congaree and Frankel in the BC (699 Views) ColoradoCapper 11/04/2003 04:47PM
Colorado Capper (622 Views) 11/04/2003 07:22PM
Re: Congaree and Frankel in the BC (678 Views) Catman Millio 11/04/2003 08:07PM
Re: Congaree (664 Views) ColoradoCapper 11/04/2003 04:49PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.