Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Claiming Pars (728 Views)
Posted by: TGJB (IP Logged)
Date: November 06, 2003 05:25PM

The obvious problem with using pars to check what you call biases (as opposed to dead rails etc.) is the self fulfilling aspect-- if you check figures against rigid pars, and the horses themselves are evolving, it won't be reflected in your figures.

In general, I don't base a variant on lightly raced horses, other than fine tuning one that is already established for the race by surrounding races with a consistent pattern. On days where the track is changing speed, or there is reason to believe such a race should not be done with the other races, I leave a box instead of a figure (if you go back in the archives you will see an extended brouhaha about this subject focusing on Chilukki's debut figure, I think the debate took place early this year). I don't like to guess, in part because future decisions will be based on those figures.

Again, pars deal for the most part with just the winners of the races, where what we do deals with all the horses. Part of this is not scientific, and it goes like this-- after doing this a long time, you get a feel (even if you can't articulate it) for roughly what percentage of horses should be running new tops, pairing tops, etc., keeping in mind the ages and number of starts of the horses in question. Related discussions about this have come up here before-- one with David Patent about the Schaeffer run at Pimlico on Preakness day 02, when Ragozin gave a whole field of older stake horses figures at least 5 points off their tops, or something like that. Another was this year's Derby, where Ragozin had NONE of the first four finishers even matching their tops, due in part to blowing the Wood figure, which I pointed out before the Derby. That is flat out ridiculous.

TGJB

Subject Written By Posted
I should probably take the high road... (1087 Views) TGJB 11/05/2003 03:19PM
Re: I should probably take the high road... (635 Views) 11/05/2003 07:35PM
Re: I should probably take the high road... (627 Views) TGJB 11/05/2003 08:06PM
Re: I should probably take the high road... (587 Views) texasturfmaster 11/06/2003 10:38AM
Claiming Pars (740 Views) TGJB 11/06/2003 01:13PM
Re: Claiming Pars (667 Views) 11/06/2003 04:18PM
Re: Claiming Pars (728 Views) TGJB 11/06/2003 05:25PM
Re: Claiming Pars (560 Views) texasturfmaster 11/06/2003 05:05PM
Re: I should probably take the high road... (609 Views) Frank 11/06/2003 05:24PM
Re: I should probably take the high road... (581 Views) TGJB 11/06/2003 05:31PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.