Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Malibu Stakes on Friday (574 Views)
Posted by: Dan (IP Logged)
Date: December 24, 2003 02:10AM

First of all, just want to say its been a year or two since my last post and I've missed this board. Law School ended up taking up a bit more time than I'd hoped for...

Re the Malibu:

1. Midas Eyes -- What strikes me most about the pattern is that he seems to be going good race - bad race with both the good and bad races regressing as the year has gone on. Off a (sub-par) good race, I'd expect an especially poor performance -- maybe not another 5, but that certainly seems to be in the realm of belief.

2. Baltic Heights -- Love this horse. Huge move last time with blinkers off and has had plenty of time to develop since then. Got a feeling Harty has this one sitting on go.

3. Watchem Smokey -- Doesn't seem to be improving but is consistent and thus an obvious toss-in on the bottom of exotics.

4. Blazonry -- Didn't fire his best shot off the last layoff and it isn't Walsh's speciality. Still respect any horse who can toss a 0 at 7 furlongs. Gotta use if you're spreading.

5. Marino Marini -- Tough to toss anything O'Neill leads over these days and gotta think the Storm Cat (and Waquoit) offspring prefer dirt to turf but he seems a little too slow regardless.

6. Domestic Dispute -- Possibly the worst purchase in the history of horse racing. When Baffert gives up on a Derby prospect, you can book it being done. Unfortunately, that purchaser is the dad of a friend so I'll be cheering if he wins, but I won't have a dime on him. Easy toss.

7. Buddy Gil -- Never fully bought into this horse and have lost plenty of money taking a stand against him. No reason to stop now, though I've been wrong more than I've been right with him. Just a note, Mullins is clearly great but his last Derby horse, Lusty Latin, has not been the same since returning from a layoff. Remains to be seen if the lifelong claiming trainer can really maintain a G1 quality animal over an extended campaign.

8. Eye of the Tiger -- Gotta use him underneath if you're using Watchem Smokey. As far as I can tell, they're the same horse.

9. Special Rate -- Maybe Bobby thinks he can pull another Mizzen Mast going turf-to-dirt with this one. If he does, I'll tip my cap but I can't play him with his numbers.

10. Posse -- Fairly consistent all year and then popped a big one in the slop. He hasn't run over his pre-existing tops in the slop before so the improvement could be real. On the other hand, it might cause a fairly big bounce if it is real improvement and not just preference for the slop. Gut feeling is that he won't repeat but still has to be used for a piece.

11. Southern Image -- Don't see this horse improving til he can put together two races in a row. Also don't like the habit of getting off slowly -- that could cause real problems in a field this size. Maybe in the bottom rung of the super.

12. Toccet -- Another one I've never liked. On the other hand, tossing the BC race, it looks like he 0-2-X'ed and then came back with a pair of tops. His races are sure clumping up but that when he did his best running last year. Nevertheles, tough to back with confidence on the ship and coming back for third time in 6 weeks.

13. Zavata -- Hasn't shown much affinity for this strip and Biancone, who is 0-17 with blinks-on, putting on the hood today smacks of desperation. Talented enough on his best day but that seems to come about once a year and its already happened this year. Gotta take a stand against.

Subject Written By Posted
Malibu Stakes on Friday (1081 Views) jbelfior 12/23/2003 10:58AM
Re: Malibu Stakes on Friday (533 Views) Silver Charm 12/23/2003 12:12PM
Re: Malibu Stakes on Friday (547 Views) 12/23/2003 12:18PM
Re: Malibu Stakes on Friday (523 Views) Silver Charm 12/23/2003 12:51PM
Re: Malibu Stakes on Friday (555 Views) jbelfior 12/23/2003 01:05PM
Re: Malibu Stakes on Friday (540 Views) 12/23/2003 01:29PM
Re: Malibu Stakes on Friday (562 Views) Silver Charm 12/23/2003 01:58PM
Re: Malibu Stakes on Friday (520 Views) 12/23/2003 03:21PM
Re: Malibu Stakes on Friday (549 Views) jbelfior 12/24/2003 09:54AM
Re: Malibu Stakes on Friday (555 Views) 12/26/2003 08:32AM
Re: Malibu Stakes on Friday (581 Views) Call Your Bet 12/26/2003 09:35AM
Re: Malibu Stakes on Friday (560 Views) jbelfior 12/23/2003 02:24PM
Re: Malibu Stakes on Friday (586 Views) 12/23/2003 03:28PM
Re: Malibu Stakes on Friday (551 Views) TGAB 12/23/2003 03:59PM
Re: Malibu Stakes on Friday (640 Views) TGAB 12/23/2003 10:13PM
Re: Malibu Stakes on Friday (574 Views) Dan 12/24/2003 02:10AM
Re: Malibu Stakes on Friday (537 Views) Mall 12/26/2003 02:20PM
online betting Santa Anita (614 Views) asfufh 12/27/2003 10:13AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.