Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  The Modesty Stakes Churchill May 3, 2024  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: The New Figure Based Trainer Profiles (457 Views)
Posted by: Furlong (IP Logged)
Date: February 26, 2004 11:59PM

Chris

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post and for the clarity of your response. In your example of the layoff horse coming back you are actually framing my concern. Let's say the horse is a solid contender if he runs back to or beyond the effective top of his last 6 races/1year. If the layoff stats. of the trainer are as you suggest [25% top, 25%pair] and that was the only stat we were looking at then great we have an edge. But supposing his numbers are 10% top 10%pair with the rider he's using today and 10% and 10% in 2 turn races and that's today's distance. Then the liklihood of the horse's performance today being in the neighborhood of his effective top is made much more uncertain I think. I have found in looking at the figures that if you take the figures that are applicable to today's race there are many conflicts such as this which really leaves me shaking my head. I know these exist in the "runs based" stats also but they seem more confusing and contrary in these new figures.
If the horse runs well do we say " well it was right there in the trainer's layoff "figure based numbers" or if he runs poorly do we say"of course, look at the figs., he never puts this rider on a live horse".
It seems to me that the overwhelming strength of the Thorograph product is the way it frames a race. Eight horses in. Four are too slow. Then you look at the other four horses. How much statistical information do you need before it becomes overkill. There are so many factors. Rider,trainer,distance,post position,etc. in addition to figuring the number pattern. I find the runs based figures straightforward and very helpful. Do I really want more figures that are very often contradictory to look at? I really don't unless it's sure thing helpful.
I understand the merit of your argument as you expressed it and certainly respect your right to want and use these figures but from what I've seen so far or rather understood so far I feel they are more information than I need and tend to confuse me as much as help me. I will however keep trying and thank you again for responding.

Subject Written By Posted
The New Figure Based Trainer Profiles (807 Views) Furlong 02/25/2004 10:35PM
Re: The New Figure Based Trainer Profiles (521 Views) derby1592 02/25/2004 10:58PM
Re: The New Figure Based Trainer Profiles (491 Views) TGAB 02/26/2004 05:22PM
Re: The New Figure Based Trainer Profiles (444 Views) Furlong 02/27/2004 01:17AM
Re: The New Figure Based Trainer Profiles (457 Views) Furlong 02/26/2004 11:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.