Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
and in this corner..... (504 Views)
Posted by: Chuckles_the_Clown2 (IP Logged)
Date: April 18, 2004 08:17PM

The results of the preps kind of indicate its hard to dismiss any of these horses don't you think? Especially those that won Grade I's as three year old prepping. I think Castledale and Friend's Lake have to be respected. Post position is going to be a factor for me. I'll weight it in considering horses that I'm afraid of.

That said, it’s starting to look like Value Plus might have been carried a little farther by the Hallandale Strip than he would have otherwise. (I'm not even certain of that but the results of the Fla. Derby and Wood can be interpreted that way.) Just because horses like The Cliff's Edge and Tapit came out of the Fla. Derby, that does not mean it was a phenomenal race. (Caveat: it doesn’t' mean it wasn't either) But if the strip did favor speed, Cliff was going to have a hard time of it and Tapit was first back. That said, Friends Lake closed.

Castledale didn't have to face Lionheart in the Santa Anita Derby and that may be a factor. A lot depends upon how much you think Lionheart improved or didn't improve in the Bluegrass. Imperialism was right there with Lionheart at mile in the San Rafael and he was right there with Castledale at 9 marks in the Santa Anita Derby. I've read that Mike Watchmaker of DRF doesn't think the trouble cost Imperialism a placing. I'm not nearly as certain of that. Imperialism does not have a quick burst and if his stride gets interrupted I don't think he's going to show his best and that interruption certainly occurred. Watch the race at Kentuckyderby.com and judge for yourself.

The Derby is a dilly. I think a case can be made for a lot of horses right now.

I still see Baffert attired in a white suit following his snorting greys, chomping at their bits, into the coliseum while struggling to restrain them with their golden leads. Waving to the unruly crowd, his grey coiffure whipped by the wind and bellowing over the din at the top of his lungs...

"Ladies and Gentlemen...and in this corner....the undisputed heavyweight champion trainer of Kentucky Thoroughbreds, Bob Baffert presents to you ...Wimbledon and Preachinatthebar....LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!!"

Post Edited (04-18-04 21:08)

Subject Written By Posted
thoughts on castledale and FL? (791 Views) Michael D. 04/18/2004 07:12PM
Re: thoughts on castledale and FL? (464 Views) Michael D. 04/18/2004 07:18PM
and in this corner..... (504 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 04/18/2004 08:17PM
Re: thoughts on castledale and FL? (464 Views) Photofnish 04/18/2004 10:55PM
Re: thoughts on castledale and FL? (472 Views) STB 04/19/2004 01:02AM
Re: thoughts on castledale and FL? (519 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 04/19/2004 01:29AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.