Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Kentucky Derby (588 Views)
Posted by: (IP Logged)
Date: May 01, 2004 01:25PM

Derby Thoughts

The Beyer figures for the Wood Memorial and Florida Derby are suspect. I believe both races were faster than the figures indicate.

I think Lion Heart is the best horse in the race. Unfortunately, he has backed up in the stretch in his last 2 races (shorter) and he's likely to face a few mid race and/or late challenges here from quality horses. His pedigree doesn't suggest he will like 10 furlongs. I can't see him getting the 10 furlongs unless he somehow gets away very easy early or all the quality closers get bad trips or don't fire.

I think Smarty Jones is very similar to Lion Heart. He's undefeated and can rate behind horses OK, but his pedigree and stretch performances make him suspect going 10 furlongs after sustaining several challenges. He has also never faced the highest quality horses.

Read the Footnotes has the single best performance of the year. However, he's been a little in and out, has a suspect pedigree, is coming off a bad performance and has been out for 7 weeks.

I can't take any of above 3 as the favorite (or close) because of the distance and other questions. I would not be surprised if RTF runs a big race and wins easy, but I would need some sort of price before betting him because there's just too many question marks

The Cliff's Edge ran a very big race in the Blue Grass. It was a big lifetime top of the sort that horses sometimes don't run back to. However, 3YOs in the spring often improve rapidly and hold their form for awhile. His previous biggest figure was a 101 in November which translates to a 107 with normal development. Not too far off that top, but none of his other races are in that range. I normally like an extra few ticks on the tote board when I am less than convinced a horse can run back to his recent effort. Plus, his trip in the Blue Grass was kind of easy for a deep closer. I can't take him in the 4 -1/ 5-1 range, but higher than that he starts getting interesting.

Tapit was a monster in his 2YO Laurel race. That Beyer figure of a 98 handily in his second start translates to a 104 handily with normal improvement heading into the Wood. I think the Wood Memorial Beyer figure is suspect at 98. That seems low to me based on the horses in that race. It could have been as high at 102. I think he is set for a lifetime top and I think he is very likely to run well. Let's face it Dickenson is second to God. It's hard to take him as the 4-1 / 5-1 favorite in such a wide open race when you are projecting a big top just to get it done, but I think a top is coming.

Castle Dale will probably be overlooked because the 103 figure is below some of the others and he was such an upset winner in the Santa Anita Derby. I don't think he's that far off these better horses. I thought Rock Hard Ten might develop into the best 3yo horse in the country heading into the SA Derby. (I loved his allowance win) I played him that day at 3-1 and Castle Dale beat him. RHT was the better horse (trip wise), but this one still beat him and he has a terrific trainer. I think he's a bit of a threat to move foward some more. He's low probability, but he may be a big price.

Friends Lake's race in the Florida Derby is probably better than it looks. He's coming off a little layoff and I don't like that for the Derby. He may be underrated but you need a price.

Imperialism ran reasonably well in his last 3 starts but will have to improve some more. Need a good price.

Borrego is improving and not that far off the top. His 105 in the last race was a kind of easy trip for a closer. He will have to improve further. Need a good price.

Master David had an easier trip than Tapit and couldn't beat him. I'm expecting him to improve, but I'm expecting Tapit to improve more. Need a good price.

Quintons Gold Rush's races in CA are better than they look. He had some tough trips. He was a big overlay in his last race. He's better than he looks, but he's suspect at 10F under pressure and will have to improve.

Song of the Sword will have to improve. Need a good price.

Pollards Vision got away easy last time out. Is improving. Suspect pedigree for 10F. Need a price

Pro Prado will have to improve. Need a good price.

I can't take Birdstone off the layoff and bad race.

Limehouse is a notch below these so far and is also suspect at 10F.

Action This Day started the season off like he was going to improve sharply through the spring, but has been a disaster since. I can't take him.

Minister Eric will have to improve.

Post Edited (05-01-04 13:44)

Subject Written By Posted
Kentucky Derby (861 Views) cozzene 05/01/2004 09:23AM
Re: Kentucky Derby (488 Views) JR 05/01/2004 10:23AM
Re: Kentucky Derby (588 Views) 05/01/2004 01:25PM
Re: Kentucky Derby (519 Views) 05/01/2004 02:18PM
Re: Kentucky Derby (462 Views) 05/01/2004 04:31PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.