Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
WTC Classic (1274 Views)
Posted by: Michael D. (IP Logged)
Date: October 01, 2002 08:20PM

Is it just me, or is this year's Classic coming up very weak? Considering no horse with Mr. Prospector blood has won the race in the last ten years (compared with at least five Derby winners over the period), let's take a look at the contenders:

Came Home: Prospector horse received 91 and 89 late pace #'s in his last two mile and a quarter races. The distance will catch up with him this time. (I have already said that three times though)

War Emblem: Prospector horse received 80, 66, 87, and 105 lp #'s in his last four races beyond nine furlongs. Needs an easy lead to get back to the 105.... won't happen.

E Duai: Prospector horse received 110, 78, 90 lp #'s in his last three starts at a mile and a quarter. Needed a dreadfully slow pace to hit the 110, he won't get that again.

Lido Palace: Prospector horse also received a nice lp # (111) in the Suburban, but again, that was not a true gd 1 horse race. His other two lp #'s at a mile and a quarter were 95 and 99, quite a bit lower than his nine furlong lp #'s. His best distance is clearly nine furlongs (0 for 4 at ten I think)

Tenpins: Prospector horse, I don't have the stats, but I'm not sure if he is even going.

Pure Prize: Prospector horse looked OK in his last, but the last eighth was awful slow. I don't have the lp #, but I imagine it will be well below 100.

Evening Attire: This Prospector horse looks a bit tougher, especially since the last Prospector horse to win the classic (I think, not 100% sure though) was his sire, Black Tie Affair. EA also has nice lp figures across the board, actually getting better as he stretches beyond nine furlongs (up into the 110 range). The horse is especially dangerous given the fact that he can win the big one in the slop. The most dangerous of the Prospector horses, but I have seen this blood take a lot of money over the last ten years, with little success.

Now let's look at the non-Prospector horses.

Dollar Bill: Decent lp figures, but not great (usually within a few points of 100). He has Blushing Groom and Alydar blood, which has contributed to a few winners over the last few years, but will need the race to collapse in order to win.

Harlan's Holiday: With the Storm Cat blood, and the new speed Pletcher has trained into him, he resembles Cat Thief, the winner of the 99 Classic. I think this horse could pull of the same type of upset on an ultra speed favoring track like the one Cat Thief got in '99. HH's lp #'s, however, have been awful going beyond nine furlongs, and even hit a new low of 88 in the PA Derby when he ran a bit faster early. This horse does not want the mile and a quarter on a fair surface.

Macho Uno: Half bro to Awsome again, the '98 winner. Holy Bull ain't Deputy Minister as a sire though. Decent lp #'s (102 in last year's classic). Tough call..... for Orseno fans only (ahahahhaha)

MD'o: Sadler's Wells blood has yet to have a winning impact on the Classic, but the Northern Dancer blood is everywhere, and beware, Sakhee only lost this race by a nose last year(out of Thawakib, by Sadler's Wells). I think there is some Damascus blood on the dam side, which has played a role in a few of the winners. This horse has decent lp #'s going the classic distance (around 100), and gets a big name jockey, one of the requirements for winning this race over the last ten years. Has the looks and running style of Tiznow, the winner of the Classic the last two years. Contender. (I think Bailey and McCarron have each won three of the last ten runnings)

Milwaukee Brew: Decent, but not spectacular lp #'s going ten furlongs (around 100). Sire won the classic long before I was watching this game. I guess this one, like $B, needs the race to collapse in order to win.

Momentum: Northern Dancer blood on the sire side is good enough, although Foolish Pleasure blood has not been involved with any of the classic winners. Lp #'s in his last two mile and a quarter races just too slow (90&93). In fact, this horse has a curious pattern; at HP he finishes well, everywhere else he struggles at the end. The PC at Dmr looked good visually I guess, but in a 14 horse field he won't get a better trip than that, and he will have to run a bit faster down the lane to get up in time.

Repent: I like this horse's breeding for a mile and a quarter. Sovereign Dancer blood has not produced a Classic winner yet, but his offspring certainly have the ability to run long. In fact, Repent's sire, Louis Quatorze, was flying at the end of the '96 classic, only needing another 20 or 30 yards to win the thing. Repent had a nice lp # of 105 in the Travers. The question here is class. I say not enough class there, but smarter people could disagree.

"The Rock": By Danehill, which immediately screams turf. There is, however, His majesty and Buckpasser blood there. Dam sire is Be My Guest, which also has the sound of turf. But, again, there is plenty of dirt breeding in the third and fourth generations. I don't think anybody knows how this horse will handle a mile and a quarter on dirt (if he even comes), but if you think the race is coming up weak this year, not a bad longshot to throw in there.

Summary: Will a horse with Mr. Prospector blood break the ten year drought? If the answer to that question is yes, I think Evening Attire has the best chance. If the answer is no, I think the focus has to be on M'Do, for the reasons mentioned above. Rock of Gibralter might be dangerous, and the horse to go with in case of a total collapse is $Bill................ Early Rankings: 1. M'Do 2. Evening Attire 3. Dollar Bill 4. The Rock 5. Macho Uno

Anybody else have an early top 5 out there?

(lp figures from Brisnet)

Subject Written By Posted
WTC Classic (1274 Views) Michael D. 10/01/2002 08:20PM
Re: WTC Classic (868 Views) Alydar in California 10/01/2002 09:44PM
Re: WTC Classic (826 Views) Michael D. 10/01/2002 10:53PM
Re: WTC Classic (846 Views) Michael D. 10/15/2002 07:35PM
Frog Without Legs is Deaf (900 Views) Alydar in California 10/16/2002 06:58AM
Re: WTC Classic (911 Views) rich viscardi 10/02/2002 12:08PM
Re: WTC Classic (873 Views) Michael D. 10/02/2002 02:12PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.