Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Southwest (789 Views)
Posted by: Tavasco (IP Logged)
Date: February 21, 2019 02:53AM

johnnym Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Moving forward SueƱo pattern is pretty solid

The history of the Southwest Stakes includes only few stars. The biggest being Afleet Alex. Baffert had a few promising colts at the beginning of this decade topped by Secret Circle.

In the race's earliest days, the late 80's, we had a couple who made some impact on the track and breeding shed such as Rare Brick (A.J. Foyt III), Demons Begone (Jerry Bailey) and Proper Reality Sire to Smile, Relaunch and Grandsire to Tiznow..

The Southwest is an interesting race because of the absence of genuine stars. It's curious to me that in 2012 they had so many entrants they ran two races one division won by Castaway the other by Secret Circle both trained by Bullet Bob Baffert! Who may not have been back since then.

IMHO, the race is as it appears a prep for the Rebel which is in turn a prep for The Arkansas Derby and a gathering place for bona fide Kentucky Derby contenders. The event attracts a lot of young horses with a dubious futures. Colts which have given given their connections causes to believe they may have something special.

This years rendition was a great betting race. A race that I expected the Risen Star to be but wasn't. Its improbable any of the participants will make the Derby field. But it's fun to latch on to a colt that has an upside and support him.

Of course in the end, its how fast did they run? Realizing that horses who ran faster as juveniles have yet to start their three year old season.

Sueno (i.e. a dream in English) started in a MCL @ DMR and has done everything right. Few would argue that Desormeaux doesn't know what he's doing. Sire Atreides (most famous from Frank Herbert's classic book Dune) descends from the coffee conglomerate Medaglia d'Oro, El Prado, Sadler's Wells. I'd consider a future on the Arc de'Triomphe before one one the Kentucky Derby. Then Looking back there had to be a good reason this colt originally sold for only $1,500 @ Kee. But even the $61k the current owners Silverton Hill paid seems a deal today.

My Guess a TG 3-4 but a stretch to expect much more improvement given where he started. I really want to see this one try the turf which can't happen in ARK.

Subject Written By Posted
Southwest (1394 Views) BitPlayer 02/19/2019 09:24AM
Re: Southwest (893 Views) johnnym 02/19/2019 11:42AM
Re: Southwest (789 Views) Tavasco 02/21/2019 02:53AM
Re: Southwest (792 Views) Al Caught Up 02/21/2019 09:21AM
Re: Southwest (719 Views) Tavasco 02/21/2019 12:47PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.