Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Wednesday's T-Graph Analysis at Saratoga (473 Views)
Posted by: jimbo66 (IP Logged)
Date: August 26, 2004 12:50PM

Upper Nile,

Thanks for the advice. Here is the enigma, at least to me. Presumably, somebody who knows how to handicap using the "full sheets", writes the analysis.

The original posting has a lot of negativity and was a bit reactionary, as I was up late with insomnia and frustrated at myself for allowing the analysis to talk me off of 2 winners.

But the core problem I really wanted to get at was that I believe that several parts of the T-Graph thesis are wrong. I tried to start that discussion a few weeks ago and only JB got involved. I wanted to hear from others. The two big ones I have the most trouble with are the disregard to "class" and "pace". I think I am pretty much directly quoting JB when I say that he posted "class is not a factor, period". The best example I can think of to dispute this is maiden special versus maiden claimers. How many times have I seen a horse showing brief speed in a MSW race then fading to be beaten by 20 lengths, earning an awful figure (beyer or T-Graph). Then he drops to maiden claimer and wires them. The difference between MSW and MC is huge to me. Am I to believe that this is an "illusion"? I do believe that sharp trainers move horses up the claiming ladder and that good horses runnning for 20k price and go to 50k races and compete. But this is certain situations, not warranting "non-existence of class as a handicapping tool".

And pace? How many times have we as handicappers seen a horse who has shown speed and been pressed in previous races, collapsing horribly, suddenly get "brave on the lead" when allowed an uncontested lead. It happens. Pace matters. So does class.

My suspicion is that there is no EASY way to incorporate class or pace in the T-Graph methodology and so it is easier to say "it doesn't matter".

Subject Written By Posted
Wednesday's T-Graph Analysis at Saratoga (881 Views) jimbo66 08/26/2004 12:34AM
Re: Wednesday's T-Graph Analysis at Saratoga (424 Views) Lucy 08/26/2004 01:58AM
Re: Wednesday's T-Graph Analysis at Saratoga (449 Views) Upper Nile 08/26/2004 08:03AM
Re: Wednesday's T-Graph Analysis at Saratoga (473 Views) jimbo66 08/26/2004 12:50PM
Re: Wednesday's T-Graph Analysis at Saratoga (479 Views) Lucy 08/26/2004 01:05PM
Re: Wednesday's T-Graph Analysis at Saratoga (435 Views) TGJB 08/26/2004 01:07PM
Re: Wednesday's T-Graph Analysis at Saratoga (468 Views) derby1592 08/26/2004 01:30PM
Re: class + pace (518 Views) Lucy 08/26/2004 01:57PM
Re: Wednesday's T-Graph Analysis at Saratoga (519 Views) TGJB 08/26/2004 12:57PM
Re: Royal Rapids - Holiday Lady (456 Views) Catalin 08/26/2004 08:48PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.