Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  The Modesty Stakes Churchill May 3, 2024  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Common Sense (726 Views)
Posted by: TGJB (IP Logged)
Date: October 29, 2004 04:05PM

Okay, I only get to do this a couple of times of year, when everyone is focused on the same horses, so I'll make time. What follows has nothing to do with any opinions I might or might not have for the BC.

According to Ragozin--

Society Solection won the Test, a GI at Saratoga, by 6 1/4 lengths, racing wide-- no matter whose figures you use, she ran 5 points better than the second filly, and 9 better than the third filly. He gave her only a 6, not even a lifetime top for her to that point. In fact, he gave her 3 points WORSE than he gave Stellar Jayne for running third in the Indiana Oaks at Hoosier.

Anyone believe that?

We gave her a negative number for the Test, and miraculously she basically paired it to win the Alabama. Ragozin had her jumping forward off the non-effort.

Ragozin has Balletto going forward 5 points from the Matron to the Frizette (we have her basically pairing, going back slightly). In other words, according to Ragozin, if Baletto had run that race (which was only good enough to win a close race against Ready's Gal and Sis City) one race earlier, she would have beaten Sense Of Style by 8 lengths in the Matron.

Anyone believe that? That those 3 fillies all ran races good enough to slaughter Sense Of Style in the Matron?

Ragozin has Mr. O'Brien winning the Kelso last time with a race almost six points off his top (we have it close to his top). That race went in 1:32:3. In other words, if he had run his top, he would have gone a mile in 1:31 flat, and beat those horses by 10 lengths.

That seem likely?

Nothing To Lose ran a lot of good races over the summer, trading close decisions with Silver Tree, among others. In the Shadwell Mile, he raced very wide both turns, and despite that blew out a good field (that included Silver Tree) by 4 1/2 lengths. Beyer gave him a 110 despite not factoring in the 126 he carried or the enormous ground loss. He earned a figure 3 points better than the second horse, 5 points better than Silver Tree, no matter whether you used TG or Ragozin, and we gave him a 3 point lifetime top, a negative number. Ragozin gave him the same figure as in 2 LOSING efforts earlier this year, one in an optional claimer.

That seem right?

Ragozin had Soaring Free winning the Atto Mile while going back 4 points from his two previous starts. In other words, those efforts in small Canadian stakes would have been good enough to win the big race by 7 lengths.

Yeah, that's probably right.

And finally, as I pointed out in another post, there is Roses In May. According to Ragozin, his Whitney is 4 lengths worse than his Turfway effort, and 8 LENGTHS WORSE THAN HE RAN AT PRAIRIE MEADOWS. If he had run his best race, he would have won the Whitney by 8 lengths.

Absolutely.

Anyway, everyone go back to your handicapping. As I said I only get to do this a couple of times a year, so I couldn't let it pass.

TGJB

Subject Written By Posted
Common Sense (726 Views) TGJB 10/29/2004 04:05PM
Re: Common Sense (431 Views) TGJB 11/09/2004 03:11PM
Re: Common Sense (462 Views) jbelfior 11/10/2004 03:55PM
Re: Common Sense (463 Views) 11/10/2004 04:38PM
Re: Common Sense (440 Views) jimbo66 11/11/2004 11:34AM
Re: Common Sense (451 Views) jbelfior 11/11/2004 11:58AM
Re: Common Sense (443 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 11/11/2004 12:38PM
Re: Common Sense (460 Views) miff 11/11/2004 12:49PM
Re: Common Sense (480 Views) beyerguy 11/11/2004 12:55PM
Re: Common Sense (526 Views) 11/12/2004 03:09PM
Re: Common Sense (405 Views) TGJB 11/12/2004 04:05PM
Re: Common Sense (460 Views) 11/14/2004 11:08AM
Re: Common Sense (434 Views) TGJB 11/11/2004 01:41PM
Tinkerbelle and Little Men (467 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 11/09/2004 06:44PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.