Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Bitplayer's question on how to handle longshot overlays (423 Views)
Posted by: derby1592 (IP Logged)
Date: February 13, 2005 03:40PM

Bitplayer asked a great question. I don't claim to have the complete answer but I do have some opinions.

My response really has 2 parts. The first part is a comment on making odds lines and the other is a comment on how to use them to make betting decisions. None of this is particularly original and if you are really interested in this topic you might want to read one of the books by Dick Mitchell or Marc Cramer.

First – I don't think many people (myself included) can make an odds line that is accurate enough to spot the difference between a 33/1 shot and a 50/1. The difference between them is about a 3% chance of winning vs. a 2% chance of winning. In fact, once you get to less than a 5-10% chance of winning, you probably should pretty much clump the rest of the field together. Spruce Run is a good example, he looks like a big overlay but I really would not have much confidence that it is a true overlay or by how much. However, if the crowd bet him down to 10/1, I would be confident that he was a big underlay so it is not a complete waste of time to try and estimate the odds even for the longshots. I don't mind tossing in these types underneath in exotics (particularly third or fourth) but my rule of thumb is to avoid playing any horse to win that does not have at least a 10-15% chance to win.

Which brings us to the second part of my answer that deals directly with the question echoed by mholbert – how do you decide between playing a live longshot and a solid favorite?

To help build some intuition for the answer I will give a hypothetical example. Let's say someone offered you the following wager: he said the he would pick one card from a deck (with replacement after each draw) and he would pay off as long as that one card was not the Ace of diamonds and he would pay off such that you had a 10% edge on every bet. In other words, you would cash 51 out of every 52 draws (on average) and you would make a long-term return of 10%. Obviously, you would take as much of that action as you could get and you would very likely start off making a profit on the very first bet and steadily increase your profits as you play with only an occasional loss.

Now let's pretend that the same person makes an offer to change the rules of the game and says that in the new game he pays ONLY IF the card drawn IS the Ace of diamonds. He still pays such that you have a 10% edge but now you only cash 1 out of every 52 draws. Both games have the same edge and thus the same long-term expected ROI but which would you rather play? In the second game you could easily start out with a long losing streak before you ever cashed. In fact, unless you had a big starting bankroll, you could easily tap out before ever cashing a single bet.

The basic principle here is that you should factor in both the expected return (edge) and probability of cashing (reflected in the odds) when making a wagering decision. The higher the edge the better and the higher the probability of cashing the better. So a 2/1 shot that you think provides a 50% edge is a much better bet than a 50/1 shot that provides the same edge. But how much better?

There is actually a simple formula referred to as the "Kelly" formula that answers that question. The formula is EDGE/ODDS; the higher the better. For example, the 2/1 shot with a 50% edge has a Kelly value of 0.50/2 = 0.25 while the 50/1 shot with the 50% edge has a Kelly value of 0.50/50 = 0.01. The 2/1 shot is a much better bet. In fact 25 times better!

That's a long answer to the Bitplayer's question. The shorter answer is that I am not even very sure that Spruce Run was an overlay and, even if he was, he was not a very good win bet.

Hope that helps and again thanks for all the nice comments. Doing the ROTW is not easy even when you have a strong opinion in a race and it is even tougher when you don’t really have much of an opinion. I am just happy that I did not completely embarrass myself. I want to thank Mall, Catalin and OPM as well as the TG staff for their help in my first foray into the ROTW.

Chris

Subject Written By Posted
ROTW (649 Views) bjt 02/12/2005 11:05AM
Re: ROTW (416 Views) TGAB 02/12/2005 12:02PM
Re: ROTW (414 Views) derby1592 02/12/2005 12:37PM
Re: ROTW (388 Views) Roger 02/12/2005 01:36PM
Re: ROTW (443 Views) Michael D. 02/12/2005 09:55PM
Re: ROTW (423 Views) BitPlayer 02/12/2005 11:58PM
Re: ROTW (400 Views) mholbert 02/13/2005 09:45AM
Re: ROTW (415 Views) Mall 02/13/2005 10:31AM
Bitplayer's question on how to handle longshot overlays (423 Views) derby1592 02/13/2005 03:40PM
Re: Bitplayer's question on how to handle longshot overlays (442 Views) beyerguy 02/13/2005 04:53PM
Re: Bitplayer's question on how to handle longshot overlays (408 Views) 02/13/2005 07:06PM
Re: Bitplayer's question on how to handle longshot overlays (407 Views) BitPlayer 02/14/2005 01:27PM
Re: Bitplayer's question on how to handle longshot overlays (355 Views) beyerguy 02/14/2005 04:28PM
Re: ROTW (363 Views) marcus 02/13/2005 12:37PM
Re: ROTW (418 Views) jbelfior 02/16/2005 07:47AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.