Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: "New Product ...to reduce injection frequency" (387 Views)
Posted by: razzle (IP Logged)
Date: May 23, 2005 12:03PM

Michael,Socal,Deb,

Thanks for an interesting article and discussion. I excerpted this from a UCONN site, with an address too long to repeat, taken from a google search(in quotes at the end of this post).

As I'm sure you all know better than I, "shooting the joints" has been around a long time and usually used with reference to older "cripply" horses being dropped in price. I guess this is the stuff(hyaluronic acid) they've been using.

I appreciate Socal's reference to the player being "injected last" with appropriate info. After a long struggle with a "hijacked browser" and malware, a friend finally got my computer " cleaned" of it over the weekend. I asked him if the "geniuses" who design this garbage ever get caught? He told me that nothing they do is against the law. I'm sure that's true, but it seems crazy that their uninvited intrusion onto my equipment isn't accompanied by an announcement of some sort.

The substances Allday, Pletcher, Dutrow et al, are using may not be technically prohibited, but as Socal suggests, we are at least as entitled to know about them as baseball fans are, if not moreso. For whatever reason, the personal ethics of these guys seem to keep them from deliberately "stiffing" or sedating their horses, which is to their credit. That can't be said of all trainers. raz

"The backbone of the joint lubrication fluid is known as hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid itself is not absorbed when taken orally and therefore its use at this point is limited to an injectable form. There is no current evidence that hyaluronic acid is effective for the treatment osteoarthritis when given orally. The only proven and approved method of administration is by injection into the joint. Hyaluronic acid is injected directly into the knee in a series of three to five injections approximately one week apart. As it is injected into the knee, its onset of action is often immediate, however several studies have found that some individuals do not benefit from the injections until after the final injection.

Hyaluronic acid has been approved by the FDA. It can be administered only by a qualified provider in a series of injections as mentioned above. Most insurance companies are currently paying for these injections, after traditional and conservative measures have been attempted."

Subject Written By Posted
"New Product ...to reduce injection frequency" (863 Views) Delmar Deb 05/22/2005 11:45PM
Re: "New Product ...to reduce injection frequency" (434 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 05/22/2005 11:58PM
Re: "New Product ...to reduce injection frequency" (410 Views) SoCalMan2 05/23/2005 10:46AM
Re: "New Product ...to reduce injection frequency" (416 Views) Michael D. 05/23/2005 11:04AM
Re: "New Product ...to reduce injection frequency" (387 Views) razzle 05/23/2005 12:03PM
Re: "New Product ...to reduce injection frequency" (413 Views) Michael D. 05/23/2005 01:24PM
Re: Acid (354 Views) TGJB 05/23/2005 01:41PM
Re: "New Product ...to reduce injection frequency" (391 Views) Delmar Deb 05/23/2005 06:08PM
Re: (372 Views) SJU5 05/23/2005 04:48PM
Re: "New Product ...to reduce injection frequency" (376 Views) TGJB 05/23/2005 05:03PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.