Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Fuel In The Tank (434 Views)
Posted by: (IP Logged)
Date: September 19, 2005 05:57PM

TGJB,

"First, I totally agree with SoCal that looking at "box scores" is a mistake if you have accurate figures to work with. Figures represent ability and performance, the other represents accomplishment, and will in turn be reflected on the tote board."

To be clear again, I am also saying that the box score measures accompishment. However, I am adding that accomplishment is a very basic way of measuring intangibles that are NOT reflected in speed figures alone. A better way is to actually watch the horses in action and see what abilities they possess, but that isn't all that easy and sometimes you learn things about a horse after the fact.

I have been extremely clear over and over that I think intangibles seperate horses that are otherwise "VERY CLOSE" in speed figures. I don't know what Leroy's speed figure will be for this race (probably a new top?), but if it's a big new top it's entirely unrelated to what I am arguing. I am arguing that he was way more likely to fire a big race, get perfect position, overcome a "little" trouble if it occurred, outgame these other horses in a close finish, and find that "little extra" if he needed it etc... than the other way around despite similar figures. I believe that's the case because he's a better horse and posseses more of the intangibles of quality than his opponents and I believe those qualities are tough to measure, but they are "reflected" in the boxscore.

Are you saying that you believe horses with equal speed figures don't possess varying degrees of acceleration, stamina, competitiveness, gameness, versatility, early speed, late speed, etc.. that in turn can lead to varying levels of accomplishment that ultimatly wind up being reflected in the box score?

By implication are you also saying that among professional athletes some don't possess intangibles that allow greater accomplishment.

Given equal ERAs, are all pictchers equally lilkely to pitch well in the 7th game of the world series or do some handle the pressure and moment better?

Given equal free throw percentages, are all basketball players equally likely to hit both free throws with no time on the clock to tie the game and force an overtime in the NBA finals.

Given equal teams and quarterback accuracy during the season and just enough time for one more drive are all quarterbacks equally likely to lead their team to that touchdown?

Do players like Michael Jordan, Joe Montana, Reggie Jackson, Tiger Woods, etc... have just a little bit extra in the tank that they can call on when the game is on the line?

IMHO, the answers are NO, NO, NO, and YES!

One can see these qualities by actually watching the players/horses over time (which I suggested is the best way to do it), but accomplishment is also often very reflective of those intangibles in a very basic way. IMO, ignoring those intangibles is an obvious error. Measuring them by observation is best.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2005 06:19PM by classhandicapper.

Subject Written By Posted
Fuel In The Tank (815 Views) TGJB 09/19/2005 02:03PM
One belated question and Fuel in the Tank (437 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 09/19/2005 02:29PM
Re: Fuel In The Tank (482 Views) TGJB 09/19/2005 02:42PM
Re: Fuel In The Tank (489 Views) Michael D. 09/19/2005 02:42PM
Re: Fuel In The Tank (445 Views) TGJB 09/19/2005 03:02PM
Re: Fuel In The Tank (464 Views) Michael D. 09/19/2005 03:21PM
Re: Fuel In The Tank (488 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 09/19/2005 03:46PM
Re: Fuel In The Tank (434 Views) 09/19/2005 05:57PM
Re: Fuel In The Tank (485 Views) TGJB 09/19/2005 06:17PM
Re: Fuel In The Tank (416 Views) 09/19/2005 06:51PM
Re: Fuel In The Tank (450 Views) TGJB 09/19/2005 07:03PM
Re: Fuel In The Tank (389 Views) 09/19/2005 07:45PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.