Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Interesting point of discussion in ROTW analysis (1271 Views)
Posted by: HP (IP Logged)
Date: March 11, 2002 11:04AM

I don't know if I would call these rules, but these are some general observations.

At what performance level (if any) do you start to expect a reaction even with a strong pattern?

I mainly consider are the age/sex of the horse. Fillies are more likely to react to big efforts. So are younger horses. I don't know what kind of 'rule' you can make out of this. If a 2yo ran a zero I would be more inclined to mark him down a peg than a 4yo who ran a zero regardless of the pattern. Older horses are more able to run and pair the big numbers. Pattern is a factor in the sense that if the big races are not huge leaps forward, the horse may be able to stay at that level longer, but I think you need to knock down the 2yos running 2's and 3's regardless of pattern based on how they've fared over the past few years. I would imagine we will see the 2yo at some point who can run the 2's and 3's and persevere. He'll be a damn short price (more on this below).

Are there some "constants" that even the fastest, fittest, and strongest horses cannot exceed (regardless of pattern) without inducing a reaction?

Very few horses pair negative numbers, and I've never seen one run more than three in a row. That looks like about the limit to me. A few have been able to stay in the 1-2-negative number range for quite awhile (Skip Away, Cigar), but they are obvious exceptions. Had a great chat with Chuckles about this.

Are those constants changing over time (I know that sounds like an oxymoron) as horses seem to be getting faster and faster at a younger age?

Over the past few years, I've noticed that more top notch horses can pair the big efforts and negative numbers. A few of them have bounced a lot less that I would expect after two negative numbers as well. Things are definitely changing.

These big figure horses are going to get bet down to 1-5 most of the time. It's not like their quality is a secret. When I see them, I just try to figure out if they can get beat, and I don't make as much of an effort to figure out how much faster they can go, or how long they can keep it up. They can make for nice betting opportunities and that's my focus. Someday a horse will come along to break all the 'rules', but until then, I stick with the percentages I've seen and try to beat them when the time is right. HP

Subject Written By Posted
Interesting point of discussion in ROTW analysis (1944 Views) derby1592 03/10/2002 02:48PM
Re: Interesting point of discussion in ROTW analysis (1271 Views) HP 03/11/2002 11:04AM
Re: Interesting point of discussion in ROTW analysis (1328 Views) Treadhead 03/11/2002 12:36PM
Re: Interesting point of discussion in ROTW analysis (1352 Views) HP 03/11/2002 01:24PM
Re: Interesting point of discussion in ROTW analysis (1347 Views) Mark O'Keeffe 03/11/2002 03:11PM
Re: Interesting point of discussion in ROTW analysis (1270 Views) Excitable Boy 03/11/2002 04:05PM
Re: Interesting point of discussion in ROTW analysis (1307 Views) Mark O'Keeffe 03/11/2002 05:12PM
Re: Interesting point of discussion in ROTW analysis (1291 Views) bdhsheets 03/11/2002 11:05PM
Re: Interesting point of discussion in ROTW analysis (1357 Views) Mall 03/11/2002 04:10PM
Re: Interesting point of discussion in ROTW analysis (1339 Views) HP 03/11/2002 05:05PM
Re: Pace , Figures, etc. (1281 Views) Ian Meyers 03/12/2002 11:29AM
Re: Pace , Figures, etc. (1495 Views) derby1592 04/01/2002 11:02PM
Re: Pace , Figures, etc. (1256 Views) Scott 04/03/2002 03:41PM
Scott, more on your numbers please (1366 Views) Goofything 04/12/2002 05:40PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.