Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: new GP (494 Views)
Posted by: trackjohn (IP Logged)
Date: April 03, 2006 11:14AM

A few comments regarding the 'new Gulfstream Park':

I attended the races there from Thursday 3/30 through Saturday's Fla. Derby card and had the good fortune of having 4 of the seats overlooking the track for all 3 days.

Let me preface my comments by mentioning that I have been going to GP since 1988, have owned horses that raced there and have attended every Fla. Derby (except 2005) since then. I have also had the opportunity to share an owner's box on the finish line since 1995.

A few observations:

- This is a slot/poker/simulcast facilty. Period! (It just happens to have a racetrack in the front)

- Keeping in mind that due to Hurricane Wilma's impact the facility was not fully finished, I have to agree with J. Brown: the place IS a trainwreck!

- While the Clubhouse north/south 'Las Vegas style' simulcast areas with individual desks (which I used for some of Thursday's card) was designed ok, this set-up was not adequate for Friday's card, let alone for Saturday's 'crowd' (and I use this term loosely, what did they have 12,000 people?). There is nowhere near enough betting windows and the ones they did have more than half of them had $20 and $50 minimums! (a side note: I placed $60 to win on a horse at the $20 minimum teller and wanted to bet a $1.00 tri part wheel [total cost of this tri bet would have been $120], I was told that I couldn't bet the tri because is was in $1.00 increments, UNBELIEVABLE! I secured a desk seat for Friday and Sat with a tv and individual betting terminal (additional $10/day, added to the cost of the outside seats) to alliaviate any wagering issues which BTW, turned out to be the right decision, given the long betting lines.

- I didn't have an issue with the seperate saddeling enclosure but some of the horsemen have due to the fact that the horses have to walk down a rather steep ramp to the 'walking ring'. While this set-up is ok for the patrons who are seated around the ring, it is a potential nightmare for the horsemen, particularly for a high strung 2 YO.

- Again keeping in mind that the facility isn't completely finished there is nowhere near enough outside picnic tables, seats, etc.

- There are plenty for bars throughout the facility (reminded me of a cruise ship, bars everywhere!)

- The horse wizards are a complete waste of time/effort/space for any handicapper, but maybe not someone who doesn't know anything about horseracing and might be a person who play's the slots ..hmmm..!

- Being one of the fortunate few who had seats the view of the track was good. The tote board and infield tv display was high quality. It's just that having 900 seats is an absolute joke.

Time limits me from going on. However, it is clear that this is not a racetrack experience but a racebook experience. One can get the samething by going to Vegas or an OTB that has theater seating.

Trackjohn

Subject Written By Posted
new GP (826 Views) Michael D. 04/02/2006 05:23PM
Re: new GP (531 Views) Silver Charm 04/02/2006 05:43PM
Re: new GP (507 Views) NoCarolinaTony 04/03/2006 12:05AM
Re: new GP (483 Views) Silver Charm 04/03/2006 07:50AM
Re: new GP (464 Views) Michael D. 04/03/2006 10:45AM
Re: new GP (461 Views) NoCarolinaTony 04/03/2006 11:00AM
Re: new GP (463 Views) bobphilo 04/03/2006 03:31PM
Re: new GP (444 Views) Silver Charm 04/03/2006 04:22PM
Re: new GP (479 Views) P-Dub 04/04/2006 02:15AM
Re: new GP (494 Views) trackjohn 04/03/2006 11:14AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.