Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: The End of Racing (548 Views)
Posted by: richiebee (IP Logged)
Date: June 11, 2006 11:26AM

Jimmy Breslin once said that the truth will always come to light when you "follow the money".

IMO some racing official/ politician in California realized fiscal enrichment courtesy of one of the Sinthetic Surface producers. I would love to be able to isolate the inner circle (Vet? Owner? Politician?) (certainly not any horseplayer) of people responsible for getting the Sinthetic ball rolling, with the ultimate outcome being that Sinthetic will be mandated at all California tracks. Member or members of this circle were paid to push Poly.

I actually kind of hope that this decision was bargained for and purchased in the open market, because that would explain to my satisfaction a decision absolutely lacking in logic.

Why is it lacking in logic? If you are the CHRB, and you administer 6 facilities (I'm including Fairplex) at which thoroughbred racing is conducted, wouldn't you want to install Sinthetic at 1 or maybe 2 of the facilities, on a trial basis? It is not like the tracks are connected and you must convert all of them at once.

If I was the CHRB, I would take for starters one or both of the NO Cal surfaces and convert them to Sinthetic (GG and BM look like they are sloppy every time I tune in, which isn't much)(unfortunately these are probably the 2 facilities least able to afford conversion).

My personal opinion is that I would convert 1 No Cal track and whichever of the 2 major So Cals had the worst soundness problems. I am not including Del Mar because it is inane to say that Sinthetic can have any positive effect on a short fair weather meet. Then I would undertake a FIVE YEAR STUDY which would evaluate the following:

a) Field Size
b) Catastrophic breakdowns
c) Number of bleeders
d) Equine surgeries performed (performance related)
e) Bowed tendons
f) etc
g) HANDLE

Now lets see. If a) and g) decrease, and b), c), d) and e) all decrease, whatcha gonna do? Follow the money?

I also have to say that it is a bit hypocritical for California Racing interests to stand up and say that Sinthetic will prevent wear and tear on the horse population. I will say it AGAIN with a big IMO: Surfaces do not by themselves cause breakdowns. Overtraining and overmedicating is really the problem. The overmedication problem in California in recent years is well documented.

TRAIN on woodchips, on Poly, on grass, use lighter exercise help, use common sense in training, but continue to RACE on the 2 traditional American racing surfaces. The total transformation of an entire circuit to Sinthetic is quite risky in terms of business.

Sinthetic will do nothing to bring new fans in; it may drive some fans away. I do not know if I would toss my hobby after 30 years if surrounded by Polyester, but I know I would limit my wagers to traditional surfaces.

Over 30 years, I have collected a rather inefficient but sometimes helpful mental database containing information about pedigrees and different surfaces; some find this information published or collected by others. A brief look at my finances is proof that this database-- of wet track characteristics and wet track pedigrees--has not been a great windfall to me in the long run. I would still hate to have this data rendered useless.

Subject Written By Posted
DRF Article on poly (1027 Views) asfufh 06/11/2006 12:10AM
Re: DRF Article on poly (621 Views) sighthound 06/11/2006 12:24AM
The End of Racing (590 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 06/11/2006 08:03AM
Re: The End of Racing (548 Views) richiebee 06/11/2006 11:26AM
Re: The End of Racing (610 Views) imallin 06/11/2006 12:45PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.