Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Happily Unbridled - An Observation (951 Views)
Posted by: derby1592 (IP Logged)
Date: June 22, 2002 04:51PM

For what it's worth, here is an observation.

I see that Happily Unbridled is popular with the few who have posted about the ROTW and that is understandable. She has the strongest pattern of all the horses entered in the race and is thus an obvious horse for a sheets player to zero in on. Therein lies the problem.

One thing that I have definitely noticed while working with the sheets computer model is that horses like Happily Unbridled (very strong pattern but 2 or 3 points or more slower than several other horses entered in the race) tend to be way overbet. I am pretty sure you can attribute this to the influence of the sheets and condition handicappers and I would imagine that years ago (back in the days of TGJB's hot streak) that these horses used to go off at very generous odds and were probably even good plays. It looks like those days are long gone. Happily Unbridled has the best chance to move forward but, if you crunch all the numbers, she is still not that likely to win because there is an even better chance that at least one of the other faster horses (there are 5 significantly faster horses in this race) will run a good race and beat her even if she does improve.

That is why the model rates her as having only an outside shot to win, which is higher than her 10-1 morning line would imply.

Such horses tend to be better values in the show position because the strong patterns imply that they are unlikely to run a bad race. In fact, according to the model, Happily Unbridled has as good of a chance to run 3rd (actually finish exactly 3rd) as all but Critical Eye and Raging Fever.

An interesting contrast is that a horse that is almost as fast as all the others (maybe a point or so slower) with a fairly strong (but not real strong) pattern (e.g., Transcendental) often is underbet.

That is why building an odds-line is so helpful. The best bet is not always the most likely winner or the horse with the strongest pattern. Long term success hinges on betting the best "value" not on cashing the most tickets or being the sharpest "condition" handicapper.

Good luck to all.

Chris

P.S. I would imagine now that Happily Unbridled will win for fun at long odds. But keep in mind, that almost any time you cash a bet you are lucky (i.e., very few horses have a better than 50% chance to win a particular race). The results of a single race only tell you who happened to be lucky on that particular race. Good horseplayers can only be defined by long term success.

Subject Written By Posted
Sheets Computer Model Odds line for the ROTW (1563 Views) derby1592 06/22/2002 12:47AM
Re: Sheets Computer Model Odds line for the ROTW (827 Views) kevin s 06/22/2002 02:35PM
Re: Sheets Computer Model Odds line for the ROTW (879 Views) Treadhead 06/22/2002 02:50PM
Happily Unbridled - An Observation (951 Views) derby1592 06/22/2002 04:51PM
Re: Happily Unbridled - An Observation (903 Views) bryan teel 06/23/2002 10:50AM
Re: Happily Unbridled - An Observation (883 Views) tegger 06/23/2002 02:31PM
Re: Happily Unbridled - An Observation (861 Views) Scott V 06/23/2002 06:51PM
Re: Happily Unbridled - An Observation (823 Views) mandown 06/23/2002 08:01PM
Re: Happily Unbridled - An Observation (876 Views) derby1592 06/23/2002 05:00PM
Re: Happily Unbridled - An Observation (876 Views) James Howard 06/23/2002 11:50PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.