Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  The Modesty Stakes Churchill May 3, 2024  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
BC Distaff - My View (1232 Views)
Posted by: Bill (IP Logged)
Date: October 20, 2002 05:22AM

Every day I'm going to post my takes on each race of the BC card, save the Juvenile Fillies. The Juvenile would also be out, but unfortunately it's part of the Pick 4. These are going to be pattern reads only. Plays will only be known when the PP's are drawn and the odds go up. Unlike those on the competitors board, I'm not afraid to "hurt my price" at the windows...The pool is plenty deep on days like these. Plenty of room to wade.

The BC Distaff has actually been the most successful race for me over the years, scoring with Jewel Princess (OK, not a great price), Spain and Unbridled Elaine. This years running appears to be amongst the most competitive I can remember. Here's my thoughts in alphabetical order...

Azeri - Perhaps going to be the shortest price on BC day, maybe moreso than Storm Flag Flying given the difference in field size. As a sheets player, one's always looking to beat the chalk. This is no different. She's done nothing wrong to this point and looks to replicate her last two efforts. However there are several in here that are just as fast, if not faster and looks VERY vulnerable.

Farda Amiga - Impressive last two since leaving So. Cal., but one wonders if she can improve enough to battle with these, even with the weigh concession. I look for her to run her top again, not break through and thus be out of the picture.

Imperial Gesture - Sheets like her's and others are going to be the broken record of this race. It used to be that 1 negative number would result in an "X", then 2, now it's even 3 or more. Granted it's not 3 consecutive, but one has to wonder if the cumulative effects of these races for a 3 year old filly plus the spacing of these efforts is finally going to catch up to her. While a bouncy sort early in her career, she obviously learned a lot over at Al Quoz. I'm going to lean towards her finally reaching the end of the line after 3 huge races and regresses slightly, however the 4 pound weight break will help.

Mandy's Gold - Another that you wonder about given her negative numbers. Although she has run 2 monster efforts at Delaware and Saratoga, she bounced as you'd expect, but came right back to running when stretched out, which remains the biggest question. I like the face that she got back to where she once was, but ground loss could be a concern for her. I think she has a good shot at repeating her last two, which makes her a player in this field and given the possible price, could be a key in the race for the exotics.

Starrer - Thanks for playing, here's your partying gifts.

Summer Colony - This one is much like Mandy's Gold, but figures to be much shorter on the toteboard. Big summer efforts, bounced at Delaware, then back to business at the Spa, followed by a regression in the Beldame. Although she did get off to a slow start which compromised her chances I don't like the race she ran last out. Perfect spacing given her campaign until then, and still came out a bit flat. She could easily come back to form and be a big factor here, but given the short rest which she doesn't normally run on, I think she will repeat her last figure, or back up slightly, which would put her out of contention.

Take Charge Lady - Somewhat interesting. Ran a new top two back off of the long layoff, then regressed slightly. A reaction to the big effort? Possibly. Hard to read. Has some physical problems earlier this year and that plus her likely short odds are scaring me away from her. I think she will run another 0, but will most likely be too short on the board for comfort.

Two Item Limit - Make sure Starrer didn't take all the gifts.

As it's shaping out right now, Mandy's Gold is most likely my "key" for the race. She's certain to be a square price and hopefully can draw a favorable inside to middle post, although with the small field, ground loss may be less of a factor.

Let me know what you're thinking. It's verty well possible that at 2:15 AM EST that I'm missing something...

Subject Written By Posted
BC Distaff - My View (1232 Views) Bill 10/20/2002 05:22AM
Re: BC Distaff - My View (672 Views) Michael D. 10/20/2002 03:11PM
Re: BC Distaff - My View (754 Views) Marc At 10/21/2002 04:22PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.