Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2023 Breeders' Cup Days Final Figures Santa Anita 3-4 November 2023  • 1 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: (6839 Views)
Posted by: Alydar in California (IP Logged)
Date: February 26, 2002 05:37AM

Mall:

I'm in a hurry. Please pardon the inevitable errors.

Moving beyond your straw men and ludicrous pedantry:

1: In his book, Ragozin advises his readers to compare horses to themselves and gives examples of horses who should be played right off their tops--"eight weeks rule" be damned. You are wrong. Regardless, you should be taking this up with Friedman. Be sure to include the stuff about the chant.

2: Karl Marx borrowed liberally from Hegel, including Hegel's view of history, though Marx ditched idealism in favor of materialism. Marxism is often called "inverted Hegelianism." If you disagree (I'm not sure you do), you are wrong.

3: Quirin's statistical studies of weight are nearly worthless. Your confidence in them is telling. Quirin called weight a function of recent form and class. In other words, he admitted that he couldn't isolate it for testing. It's silly of you to write of the "lack of import" of weight based on this book.

4: If you persist in thinking that Quirin's weight research is important, consider this: Quirin found that weight was more significant at longer distances, which kicks the hell out of your theory.

5: I'm not going to spend a dime studying weight. Why bother? Just ask one of those trainers of whom you are so fond. Almost to a man, they believe that weight is important. (At this point, Mall, I want to thank you for telling us that you have your own business. That qualifies as information one can't do without.)

6: Your "Unlike you guys, I think for myself" BS is beginning to grate. If you don't make your own figures, you are leaving the most important thinking to someone else. However, I do admire your disinclination to embrace received wisdom. Your push to get TG to test the "eight weeks off a top" pattern, and other patterns, inspires awe. No passive, wait-for-them-to-give-me-their-pearls-of-wisdom handicapper are you. You want evidence. Sure wish I had thought of something like that.

7: When you write that you think it's wrong to split hairs based on small weight shifts, and when you minimize the importance of weight in general, you are saying more than you seem to think you are saying. In fact, you are saying that ALL of TG's and Ragozin's numbers are wrong. Weight is built into these numbers and the projections based on these numbers. Please read the TG and Rags introductory literature and address this.

8: You actually wrote this sentence: "It compounds the felony, as it were, to simply assert, without offering any proof, that weight has been used profitably during this undefined period."

Ragozin and TG "use" weight. It is in every figure. I did define the period: about 40 years (a reference to Ragozin). Weight is one of the things that separate sheets from Beyer, etc. I know several people who use TG and Rags profitably. I'm sure you do, too. Do you want me to get them under oath? Based on my experience, the percentage of TG-Rags users who win is a lot higher than the percentage of Beyer (weight free) users who win. This is a tough game. Success is precious and precarious. Successful formulas should not be tinkered with based on the caliber of argument that has been coming off your keyboard so far.

9: I'm sure the TG/Rags weight adjustment would be better if we knew the weights of the horses. Absent that, we still have good figures. Besides, I can't think of a better way to assess the value of weight than this: Put a couple of fanatics in hole-in-the-wall offices (I know your office is new, JB; the term came from Jay Hovdey) and have them study the sheets of countless thousands of horses for dozens of years. There are times when experience deserves to triumph over theory, and this sure looks like one of those times to me.

10: Your Joe McCarthy comments are insufferably didactic and gratuitous. I stated clearly that I was KIDDING. But my words stand up well even if I were serious. McCarthy was notorious for claiming he had lists of 200 communists, smearing countless innocent people, and then refusing to produce the lists. Eventually, it would come out that he only had a few names on his lists, and those were often hilarious. In your case, the list is now down to one, it seems. (See chapter three of David Halberstam's "The Fifties," along with hundreds of other works.)

11: HP is a bright guy whom I have never met, spoken to, or exchanged emails with. He takes me seriously when he shouldn't, but I appreciate that. He is one of the few people whose intentions always seem to be good. And his determination to try to do the right thing, even though he's anonymous and won't get any real credit for it, warms my heart. It really does.

12: Your attempt to turn your "Jerry's Kids-Dittos" line into an attack on a lone idiot who was blasting the TG analysis is quite funny. I challenge you to put that part of your post on top of this board and defend what you just wrote. We will have some real fun.

13: I appreciate your telling me that there is a world out there apart from horse racing. At your urging, I will look for it. But if it isn't there, I will be very disappointed.

14: There is no 14. I'm superstitious, so I didn't want to end on 13. How about this? "Drops of Jupiter" is the song of the year, and it ain't close.

Subject Written By Posted
2 Qs for JB/AB & 1 Message for the Dittos (2064 Views) Mall 02/10/2002 12:01PM
Re: (1903 Views) tgab 02/12/2002 03:26PM
Re: Encouraging Response (1388 Views) Mall 02/20/2002 03:30PM
Re: Provocative comments (1439 Views) Alydar in California 02/20/2002 08:38PM
Re: (1384 Views) Mall 02/21/2002 05:54PM
Re: Joe McCarthy? (1455 Views) Alydar in California 02/22/2002 05:33AM
Re: Alydar: Huh? (1437 Views) Mall 02/25/2002 11:29AM
Re: (6839 Views) Alydar in California 02/26/2002 05:37AM
Re: (1453 Views) Richie 02/26/2002 08:21AM
Re: (1378 Views) TGJB 02/26/2002 12:46PM
Re: Pt By Pt Rebuttal (1577 Views) Mall 02/26/2002 04:30PM
Re: (1352 Views) Alydar in California 02/27/2002 05:04AM
Re: (1408 Views) HP 02/27/2002 09:05AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.