Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: An interesting ROTW (772 Views)
Posted by: tgab (IP Logged)
Date: November 30, 2002 06:09PM

Fall 1977 I started going to the track. Picking winners and cashing bets was difficult given the information at hand in those days. So I started reading, researching, trying to find a way, a handicapping method to employ which would make the money flow more of a two-way intercourse. Ainslie--freshman studies, Beyer--speed specialization, Quirin--statistics--applied handicapping.

Started working at TG in 92. Performance figures informing form cycles were like an alternative curriculum and philosophy, not the theory per se, that made sense, but the fervent belief, that they and they alone could provide the clearest solutions to the handicapping problems at hand.

Often discussing races JB would say to me, Alan your mind is cluttered with irrevelant thoughts--forget how the horse did in 30k company (he lost yet was being raised to 45k, etc.) or so he's off a layoff, look at what he did last time off the layoff, etc.

Plus I had a healthy degree of skepticism. I didn't really know him, yet I was suppose to bet based purely on figure theory. And frankly, why couldn't he perpetuate the theories he espoused. After all he made the figures. (And I had the advantage of getting TG for free.)

The point is that over the years I began to trust the numbers, and I say over the years. It takes time to let go of things learned and internalized over the course of many years.

Now this is not to say that figures are the be-all and end-all. They are not and never have been. Accurate figures on a graph do provide the most significant information concerning a horses' talent, ability and condition. Often these data points are solely sufficient to solve the handicapping equation at hand.

At other times, their weight, importance, is less significant which is why we append trainer,sire and jockey information. And by the way, we, TG, were the first to disseminate these types of data daily.

In a perfect world, horses would run to their figures all the time. But we know that doesn't happen. Form cycles are not static or perfectly predictable. Other factors, non-quantifable, often surface and prevail.

Nevertheless over the long run in this game, the figures prevail. The fastest horses
given the conditions at hand--weight and post (prospective ground loss or saved)--win much more than often than the slower ones. No surprises there, but you have to TRUST the figures.

This long-winded spiel is merely a preface to stating my agreement and disagreement to Chris' and Mall's take, respectively, on Resolve in the Cigar Mile, and Jerry's too for that matter.

Resolve has no figures good enough to win--he has to run a top and all the others have to throw stinkers. Resolve is much more likely to finish last than first, and I feel he can't be used at any odds.

I disagree with Chris concerning Bonapaw. Chris, you must use pace figures, because Bonapaw has put up negative figures after running some very fast, unadjusted, half splits. Whether he can perform equally well going 8 furlongs is to my mind the question he has to answer. But given his back figures and the timing, I think he's a strong contender, too.

Crafty CT is difficult to read. Horses don't bounce off negative figures the way they use to. So like Mall interprets, Crafty CT may have turned the corner, in which case, he's fast enough to contend and win.

Red Bullet is ouchy. A repeat of his last probably won't be good enough to win and even his top, given a wide trip, may fall short. And he could bounce too.

Harlan's Holiday's last was a stinker, but the only he's thrown in a year. I'm inclined to dismiss it and look for a much improved performance, perhaps a new top. I disagree with JB on this one, more in accord with Chris. But HH probably does need a new top to win, so whether he's value or not we won't find out until race time.

Windsor Castle looks to be value, if the ML holds. His top is fast enough to win, but he's only run it once. His other efforts aren't good enough.

Aldebaran is solid but suffers from the closer's plight--ground loss. Third and second is more likely.

Griffinite and Congaree are slow. Multiple Choice has to improve from an outside post.

Good luck.

TGAB

Subject Written By Posted
An interesting ROTW (1245 Views) derby1592 11/30/2002 02:07AM
Re: An interesting ROTW (712 Views) Mall 11/30/2002 02:36PM
Re: An interesting ROTW (789 Views) derby1592 11/30/2002 04:26PM
Re: An interesting ROTW (741 Views) OPM 11/30/2002 05:17PM
Re: An interesting ROTW (772 Views) tgab 11/30/2002 06:09PM
Re: An interesting ROTW (759 Views) tgab 11/30/2002 07:01PM
Thanks (714 Views) derby1592 11/30/2002 07:37PM
Re: Thanks (735 Views) OPM 11/30/2002 11:17PM
ROTW (683 Views) Michael D. 11/30/2002 11:40PM
2 CENTS (725 Views) nunzio 12/01/2002 12:44PM
Re: 2 CENTS (732 Views) Mark O'Keeffe 12/01/2002 02:01PM
Re: 2 CENTS (773 Views) nunzio 12/01/2002 06:31PM
Re: 2 CENTS (690 Views) Mark O'Keeffe 12/02/2002 01:36AM
Chris........ (758 Views) Michael D. 12/02/2002 03:21PM
Re: Chris........ (704 Views) derby1592 12/03/2002 02:39AM
Re: Chris........ (738 Views) gaaaaaining grooooound 12/07/2002 09:03PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.