Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  The Modesty Stakes Churchill May 3, 2024  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Welcome to Dr. Frankelstein's Laboratory (1147 Views)
Posted by: derby1592 (IP Logged)
Date: March 17, 2003 07:15PM

These numbers may not be completely accurate but they should at least be in the right ballpark. Out of a sample of over 2300 TG figures for "3yo stakes" horses taken prior to this year, there were only 3 instances in which a horse jumped to a new top of 7 or more points. That means that such a big jump for a stakes caliber 3yo is almost a "1 in a 1000" occurrence. I am not sure but I would also guess that none of those 3 big jumpers had a single-digit top prior to their big jump. (Note that a very fast horse is much less likely to make a big jump than is a slower horse.)

In the last week or so the following 3 horses literally became overnight "monsters" on the 3yo racing scene:

In the La Derby, Peace Rules jumped from a 7 to 0.5 for a 6.5-point jump

In the Fla Derby, Empire Maker jumped from a 6 to about a -2 (just my guess) for an 8-point jump

In the Swale Stakes, Midas Eyes jumped from an 8 to about a -4 (just my guess) for a 12-point jump

Roughly speaking, the odds of that randomly occurring are less than my chances of winning the lottery, making a hole in one, or getting my son to take out the trash without being told. I will let you draw your own conclusions.

You may be tempted to rationalize these big jumps with all sorts of potentially valid reasons such as surface changes or adding blinkers or trainer changes, etc. But keep in mind that there were probably all sorts of similar circumstances among those other 2300 3yo stakes horses...

"This is definitely not your father's Oldsmobile."

Chris

P.S. "In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted." Bertrand Russell

Subject Written By Posted
Welcome to Dr. Frankelstein's Laboratory (1147 Views) derby1592 03/17/2003 07:15PM
Re: Welcome to Dr. Frankelstein's Laboratory (721 Views) OPM 03/17/2003 08:41PM
Re: Welcome to Dr. Frankelstein's Laboratory (735 Views) Marc At 03/18/2003 11:24AM
Is Frankel really a European in disguise?? (693 Views) Silver Charm 03/18/2003 11:57AM
Re: Welcome to Dr. Frankelstein's Laboratory (728 Views) OPM 03/18/2003 01:11PM
Re: Welcome to Dr. Frankelstein's Laboratory (686 Views) Silver Charm 03/18/2003 02:13PM
Empire Maker (800 Views) Catalin 03/18/2003 05:40PM
Re: Welcome to Dr. Frankelstein's Laboratory (668 Views) OPM 03/18/2003 08:20PM
Re: Welcome to Dr. Frankelstein's Laboratory (688 Views) Silver Charm 03/19/2003 10:22AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.