Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  The Modesty Stakes Churchill May 3, 2024  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: My craziest Derby future book bet ever??? (654 Views)
Posted by: Michael D. (IP Logged)
Date: February 17, 2004 06:59PM

ATD - very little wrong. the jock has had a very difficult time getting horses like this to cross the derby wire first (VG, aptitude, the st ballado horse, all flying late only to miss). running style and jock the only issues. somewhat of a contender.

bird - half sis was trounced when trying ten furlongs. zito says the horse is on the small side. i like the TG # move, however, when the horse went from 7f to 8 1/2 f. contender i guess, but i'm guessing 10f aint the game here.

borrego - looks like "5" or "6" is the best this one will do at 10f. no thanks.

capac - very fast horse. finished with a ton of energy last. too many unknowns to recommend, but nothing would surprise me here.

Euro - definite contender. best 2yr old last year in my opinion, and the first prep was perfect. unbridled song couldnt' get the 10f (wearing a bar shoe though), but this one gets a ton of stamina from the dam.
nothing wrong, and i imagine one of the top jocks will be aboard if the horse puts in one more excellent race. one of the ones.

FS - finishing very well at the end of his races, but with grand slam on top, and salt lake on bottom, i'm guessing one won't get past a "6" or "7" at 10f. no.

gradepoint - definite contender in my opinion. the horse has been finishing very well at the end of his races, and the TG pattern suggests he is going in the right direction. last # might be a bit slow, but the horse left a lot on the track.

gran prospect - fast, and runs like he wants to go longer.... i just get the feeling he isn't going faster than "5" at 10f. outside contender, prob good value, but not for me.

halfbridled - obvious contender, but the horse has not run yet, and the OAKS is possible. too many question marks at this point for me.

LH - gets some stamina from the dam side, but i won't be betting the tale of the cat's going long until they get a few more 9 and 10f wins. worth noting that LH backed up a bit when going from 7f to 8 1/2
last year, and the bris late pace # was on the slow side in the hol fut win. a fast one for sure, but i will take a stand against going 10f.

LP - ran very well last time. not sure if i like pulpit's going 10f though. a good stab for some, too many questions for me.

MD - nice horse, not sure if it's a winning pattern though. something tells me this one one has only a bit of improvement left in him for the time being. any pattern experts out there care to give an opinion?

ME - really don't know here. guessing this one lacks the class to win the derby.

MJ - fast one, out of a nice mare. i have not seen him run, and need to see more class. a stab for some, not me yet.

RTF - i just know that the CD surface on derby day has been lightning quick the last few years. smoke glaken is all you here when RTF is mentioned, but SG could go 8 1/2f, and if the horse was by AP Indy, the odds would be 3-1 right now. tons of stamina on the dam side, and the the horse has finished very well in his last two routes. i think bailey sticks with this one, and i can see nothing wrong. one of the ones.

shaniko - note the TG stats; shaniko's dam did her best work sprinting. in last, JR asked the horse for run on the turn, and he exploded, but flattened out a bit. pletcher needs to do his best training job to date if this one is going to win the derby. i would like to see a bit more energy at the end of his next race (fla or la derby), and then a solid finish in the wood. not a lot of room for error here, but at 50-1, a solid bet to me.

SW - great horse, but just doesn't finish like he wants to go 10f. no thanks.

SO - NO

SA - a lot of money has been wasted on st ballado colts in derby future bets. ave winning distance only 7.0 f. this one gets more stamina from the dam however, and seemed to improve quite a bit when routing for the second time. looks a bit like LH to me, but i like the pedigree a bit more, and the horse has put in an excellent route already. contender.

Tapit - i have no idea to be honest. obviously has a shot at being great, but i need to see another race or two. a nice stab for somebody who knows more than i do.

TCE - no idea. zito likes his other contender's chances better going 10f, so i will go with him.

TH - nice horse, put him on the weeds.

so: out of the 23 contenders, my list goes

1. gradepoint
2. read the footnotes
3. shaniko
4. eurosilver
5. halfbridled
6. action this day
7. st averil
8. tapit

more to follow on horses not included in the 23 betting interests.

Subject Written By Posted
My craziest Derby future book bet ever??? (968 Views) derby1592 02/16/2004 11:31PM
Re: My craziest Derby future book bet ever??? (576 Views) jbelfior 02/17/2004 09:46AM
Re: My craziest Derby future book bet ever??? (645 Views) Michael D. 02/17/2004 12:37PM
Shaniko, Itchy and the Southern Hemisphere Filly (633 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 02/17/2004 03:00PM
SCAL derby contenders (621 Views) OPM 02/17/2004 05:08PM
Re: My craziest Derby future book bet ever??? (654 Views) Michael D. 02/17/2004 06:59PM
Re: My craziest Derby future book bet ever??? (593 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 02/17/2004 09:09PM
Re: My craziest Derby future book bet ever??? (549 Views) Michael D. 02/17/2004 09:43PM
Re: My craziest Derby future book bet ever??? (2615 Views) Michael D. 02/17/2004 10:04PM
Re: My craziest Derby future book bet ever??? (639 Views) Chuckles_the_Clown2 02/17/2004 11:54PM
Re: My craziest Derby future book bet ever??? (535 Views) mbeychok 02/17/2004 07:09PM
Re: My craziest Derby future book bet ever??? (500 Views) Michael D. 02/17/2004 07:15PM
Re: My craziest Derby future book bet ever??? (665 Views) jbelfior 02/18/2004 08:51AM
Re: My craziest Derby future book bet ever??? (591 Views) fasteddie 02/18/2004 09:42AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.