Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  The Modesty Stakes Churchill May 3, 2024  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Lots Of Stuff (797 Views)
Posted by: TGJB (IP Logged)
Date: August 24, 2004 02:49PM

Back from Saratoga, and there is lots of interesting stuff here which I will touch on briefly for now. Much of it will provoke more discussion, in a good way.
As for Beavis ("hehehe")-- you are harmless, so for the meantime we're going to continue to let you post, save for unusually obnoxious personal attacks such as the one Paul tells me he deleted (I was away). The Ragozin office sent me a telegram telling me how proud they are to have you as their ambassador here. Your stuff is very effective, don't let anybody tell you otherwise-- everyone here is just as dumb and childish as... well, hehehe.

Weight-- I too would like to see the Beyer/Hopkins study. As I said at the Expo (this part they didn't cut on the DVD), the way the game is structured makes it very hard to do a study, because horse are assigned more weight when they are in form.

Ground loss-- all else aside (since there is no way to argue with "I have done well by doing..."), the issue brings up something else I went into at Vegas. If one horse beats another by 7 lengths, but he ran on the "better" part of the track, the 7 lengths could be considered misleading-- but we still want the DRF to tell us how many lengths the horse was beaten. Likewise, it is better to know how far each horse travelled-- if you want to adjust for "better" parts of the track, have fun.

Betting strategy-- as I have said before, the trick is to have your bets as closely as possible express your handicapping opinion. This is not nearly as easy or simple as it sounds, and the easiest way to do this is to actually ask yourself the question "What do I like about this race?", and articulate an answer in a full sentence. Try it-- if you actually can do it, you will find that the answer should pretty well define your bet. More to come on this, and if I have time I might do what jwo7 asked, for the Saturday Sar card-- not just because I had a big day, but because it was a result more of effective betting than of handicapping. The two things that have improved my game over the last few years are using the new data, and making more focused plays. Meanwhile, anyone interested should go to the betting pointers Alan mentioned.

TimeForm/performance figures/speed figures-- as George touched on, very few races in Europe are truly run-- many are the equivalent of our "pace" races. Since they don't give fractional times (which would be pretty much meaningless anyway, given the varying configurations), this means pretty much cutting loose every race.

Classhandicapper is right on two fronts-- one is that I do disagree with some of what he is saying. But only as to some of the details-- I do agree that various elements affect the final time (see "pace" races, which are extreme cases), especially when you are talking about small differences. We are trying to come up with figures that best reflect the performances of the horses, as we do with the "pace" races. As far as I know, I was the one who coined the term "performance figures" when I did Post Time in 92-93. But I could be wrong.

TGJB

Subject Written By Posted
Lots Of Stuff (797 Views) TGJB 08/24/2004 02:49PM
Re: Lots Of Stuff (571 Views) JimP 08/24/2004 03:46PM
Re: Lots Of Stuff (506 Views) miff 08/24/2004 06:36PM
Re: Lots Of Stuff (450 Views) TGJB 08/24/2004 06:56PM
Re: Lots Of Stuff (497 Views) Boscar Obarra 08/24/2004 11:24PM
Re: Lots Of Stuff (441 Views) 08/25/2004 10:46AM
Re: Lots Of Stuff (481 Views) miff 08/25/2004 10:54AM
Re: Lots Of Stuff (435 Views) JJP 08/25/2004 11:09AM
Re: Lots Of Stuff (414 Views) 08/25/2004 12:02PM
Re: Lots Of Stuff (495 Views) miff 08/25/2004 12:12PM
Re: Arlington Million (483 Views) TGJB 08/24/2004 07:07PM
Re: Arlington Million (490 Views) JimP 08/25/2004 01:19PM
Re: Lots Of Stuff (449 Views) Lucy 08/25/2004 02:43AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.