Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Back to Variants (484 Views)
Posted by: TGJB (IP Logged)
Date: September 18, 2004 08:22PM

Okay, Jim asked a lot of good questions that go to the heart of the matter when making figures. I'll deal with them in sections, partly because this will be time consuming, and because it will be a lot for people to digest. It will make things easier if everyone waits until I finish with this some time tomorrow before asking questions or commenting.

"Have there been any studies to try and measure what the difference in running time would be between a track with say 4% moisture and then a track with 10% moisture".

"Do smaller changes matter enough to warrant making changing track variants"?

The only published scientific study I'm aware of directly concerning moisture content is the one I referenced in the Expo presentation, which is available on the web-- Mall put a link to it here originally, so you might be able to get to it with a search on this site, or you can do a larger search using the title ("Interrelationships Between Moisture Content Of The Track, Dynamic Properties Of The Track And The Locomotor Forces Exerted By Galloping Horses"). As was noted in my presentation, relatively small changes in moisture content produced scientifically MEASURABLE differences in rebound energy, which in our terms means track speed. Think about it-- if the differences produce a 1% difference in the "speed" of the track, and we're talking about a mile race going in 1:40 (100 seconds), that's a difference of a second. Which in racing (and figure) terms is a lot-- about 4 points.

But there is no way to directly answer your question, because how do you scientifically measure track "speed"? That is why one of the scientists sent me the e-mail saying that he thought the most accurate data for measuring this was ours-- if we had a way of correlating moisture content in a blind study with what we determined to be track speed, it would be interesting to see the results. I offered this, did not get a reply-- I'm going to bring it up again at some point.

The other point to keep in mind is that soil composition plays a big part in this-- some tracks are going to be more responsive to moisture than others. Likewise, a difference between 3 to 5 percent might not have the same effect as that between 5 and 7 percent at a given track, and different parts of the track can have different moisture contents because of shade, drainage, and different track maintenance (at Belmont and Aqueduct, for example, they don't use the big water trucks in the chute, according to Porcelli).

So all in all, what we know is that moisture content makes a difference, and that it's hard to quantify directly what that difference is. Which leaves us knowing that it is wrong to make the assumption that track speed (to say nothing of the relationship between distances) stays constant, but having no OBJECTIVE way of dealing with it. Meaning, we have to use what that scientist agreed was the best available method-- the past histories of the horses who run over the track-- to determine the "speed" of the track.

More tomorrow.

TGJB

Subject Written By Posted
Back to Variants (833 Views) jimbo66 09/18/2004 10:39AM
Re: Back to Variants (422 Views) TGJB 09/18/2004 01:48PM
Re: Back to Variants (484 Views) TGJB 09/18/2004 08:22PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Two (488 Views) TGJB 09/19/2004 07:50PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (485 Views) TGJB 09/20/2004 04:11PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (484 Views) HP 09/20/2004 04:43PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (449 Views) TGJB 09/20/2004 05:13PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (416 Views) HP 09/21/2004 08:01AM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (486 Views) 09/21/2004 09:34AM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (708 Views) TGJB 09/21/2004 01:31PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (454 Views) 09/21/2004 01:58PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (390 Views) BitPlayer 09/21/2004 10:43AM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (427 Views) TGJB 09/21/2004 01:38PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (421 Views) jimbo66 09/21/2004 03:02PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (407 Views) TGJB 09/21/2004 03:31PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (466 Views) 09/21/2004 04:41PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (587 Views) P.Eckhart 09/21/2004 07:14PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.