Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (707 Views)
Posted by: TGJB (IP Logged)
Date: September 21, 2004 01:31PM

CH--

I agree that the Beyer figures are decent at representing what they aim to (meaning they don't take ground and weight into account), and they don't do some of the dogmatic, unscientific things Ragozin does. I was sitting 3 feet from Andy at the expo when he announced his track-to-track computer program to the world, and it sounded so good that we're going to do our own, as soon as we get done with a couple of other projects. That notwithstanding, they have some problems (as does Ragozin), and the relationship between the EP figures and Saratoga is one. At first glance it is also reflected in the figures assigned for the winners on KY Cup day-- I haven't done the day yet, but I'm guessing I'll be giving out better figures. You make the figures based on the earlier figures.

The funny thing about turf figures is, although on the surface they appear to be tough to make (not as many races), and some are almost impossible to make (lightly raced horses running on days there are no other grass races, or weather makes it wrong to tie the race to others), on balance they are much easier to make, and easier to get right, if

1-- You go by the horses. Grass horses are unbelievably consistent, running in very tight ranges. And before anyone says I just give them what I want, remember that the relationships between horses in a race we are looking at are fixed-- I can't pair the winner to his 7 and the second horse to his 9 and the third to his 10 1/2 unless the winner beats the second horse by 2, and the third by another 1 1/2 points.

2-- You use weight and ground. Because they run fewer grass races, and grass horses do run in tight ranges, getting the figures really accurate makes all the difference when you use them to do variants later. In simple terms, if horse A gets a rail trip around 2 turns and horse B is 3 wide both turns, the difference is about 2 points, which will not show up on Beyer (it would be 6-7 of his points). But it makes an enormous difference both in hanficapping these closely matched races and in making figures using the figures. Likewise weight.

3-- You don't do anything else that can screw things up. By this I mean, take the time of the race too literally, as crazy as that sounds. Pace has a huge effect on final time in grass races because on average it is considerably slower than in dirt races, despite grass courses being on average much faster (especially nowadays, with all the sand in the tracks)-- and sometimes the pace is REALLY slow. If you take the time too literally, or try to use some formula to adjust for slow paces (as Friedman indicated on the Ragozin site they did) you can seriously mess things up, and make it harder going forward to use those figures to make other figures (Jim's point from a couple of days ago). Trust your figures, go by the horses, and don't screw with the relationships within the races, and you'll be fine after you get your data base in shape, which takes time.

By the way, this is what TimeForm and other serious figure makers do. When you deal with short race meets, hilly courses over about distances, and races not only with slow paces but no fractional times, there is no other way to do it.

TGJB

Subject Written By Posted
Back to Variants (833 Views) jimbo66 09/18/2004 10:39AM
Re: Back to Variants (421 Views) TGJB 09/18/2004 01:48PM
Re: Back to Variants (483 Views) TGJB 09/18/2004 08:22PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Two (487 Views) TGJB 09/19/2004 07:50PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (485 Views) TGJB 09/20/2004 04:11PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (483 Views) HP 09/20/2004 04:43PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (449 Views) TGJB 09/20/2004 05:13PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (416 Views) HP 09/21/2004 08:01AM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (486 Views) 09/21/2004 09:34AM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (707 Views) TGJB 09/21/2004 01:31PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (453 Views) 09/21/2004 01:58PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (390 Views) BitPlayer 09/21/2004 10:43AM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (426 Views) TGJB 09/21/2004 01:38PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (420 Views) jimbo66 09/21/2004 03:02PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (407 Views) TGJB 09/21/2004 03:31PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (466 Views) 09/21/2004 04:41PM
Re: Back to Variants-- Part Three (587 Views) P.Eckhart 09/21/2004 07:14PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.