Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Lotta Meat On Them Bones (1171 Views)
Posted by: TGJB (IP Logged)
Date: August 02, 2005 08:18PM

On the Ragozin site, Michael mentioned seeing Mark Hopkins talk on the OTB channel about the track changing speed 8 Beyer points because of track work, and asked Friedman "Do you make variant adjustments during the day due to maintenance work"?

Len's reply:

"If your question is whether track work immediately before or during the card ever produces changes in the variant level from race to race the answer is yes, although in the vast, vast majority of cases the track work is weather related and/or predictable as general maintenance at a particular track. I'm just guessing, but I think that Hopkins may have been referring to the 2yof stakes opening day at the Spa which went dramatically on the slow side. Even making the kind of adjustment he apparently did would not give those horses anything near what would have been expected (and I'm still not giving back any of what I cashed on that race) and there's no reason not to just give them the numbers that their final time earned. Changing the variant level because the horses in a particular race didn't run as you expected is a subjectivity that places the ego of the variant maker over the reality of what the horses actually did".

Amazing how much there is to work with in a single paragraph. Where to begin:

1-- Those times that the track work produces "changes in the variant level"-- how do you know it? Do you have a machine that measures "physical resiliencey", as you once put it?

Because if not, you are making the decision the way Hopkins, Beyer, myself and all other figure makers with some relationship to reality do it-- by looking at how fast the horses run relative to their figure histories. And if you are adjusting the "variant" based on that judgement, aren't you placing your ego over the reality of what the horses "actually did"?

2-- "In the vast majority of cases the track work is weather related and/or predictable as general maintenance practice at a particular track".

a) Really? For you to know that is true, you would have to be getting complete information about track maintenance at all tracks. Do you? If there are tracks where you are not getting information, do you assume it is being done, or not being done? Do your trackmen report to you-- as ours do wherever possible-- when the track is watered? I ask because there are some tracks where they water the track before every race on some days, and not at all on other days. All permutations of watering take place-- before some races but not others, etc., and I'm not even getting into the issues that I went into in "Changing Track Speeds" (Archives this site) about varying quantities of water, different climatic conditions, etc.

b) Even if you were getting that info, you would still have to correlate the track work with the track speeds. How would you do this without applying your own judgement, as above?

c) "Predictable". Boy, is that an interesting word in this context. Please explain what that means, and how the fact that work on the track is "predictable" in a certain instance can be applied to making a figure for a race or day. Do you make an assumption, for example, that because specific work was done, the track will be getting faster, and add points as the day goes along, without regard to the results and times of the races?

3-- On the Saratoga filly stake-- that's a GREAT example, I think I might have discussed it here already. Races 2 through 5 were dirt races, and after them the main track was sealed. It was reopened after the two grass races, but was noticeably slower (like 6 points) for the final TWO dirt races. This was an example of knowing something had been done to the track-- but even if I had not, I would have had no problem dealing with it because there were 2 races, which made it clear.

Tell you what-- why don't you post sheets for the last two dirt races on the day. I'm going to make a prediction, like I did after the 2001 Breeders Cup (and those who were around then remember how that turned out)-- if you did those races with the rest of the day, at least 75% of the horses in those two races (excluding the winner of the eighth, who ran out of his mind and figures to bounce) will go forward at least 3 points next time out, on YOUR figures.

4-- "...the numbers that their final time earned", and "...the reality of what the horses ACTUALLY DID" (emphasis added).

Really, what they ACTUALLY did, and earned. How do you know what they actually did? I mean, basing it on the horses would be an excercise in ego, so you must have another way.

Here's what you really mean, Len. You mean, make an assumption-- based on absolutely nothing, and one that goes against the science-- that the track stays the same speed. You mean that the right answer is to use a broad average of how fast the track is during the day, and apply it to individual races where it may or may not have been that "speed".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2005 08:21PM by TGJB.

Subject Written By Posted
Lotta Meat On Them Bones (1171 Views) TGJB 08/02/2005 08:18PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (640 Views) SoCalMan2 08/03/2005 10:45AM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (549 Views) 08/03/2005 01:57PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (539 Views) SoCalMan2 08/04/2005 06:18AM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (513 Views) 08/04/2005 08:51AM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (498 Views) SoCalMan2 08/04/2005 09:34AM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (504 Views) 08/04/2005 10:17AM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (544 Views) TGJB 08/04/2005 12:20PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (513 Views) SoCalMan2 08/04/2005 01:15PM
Re: bone-pickin' (549 Views) razzle 08/04/2005 08:45PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (472 Views) 08/04/2005 02:03PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (618 Views) TGJB 08/04/2005 02:17PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (504 Views) 08/04/2005 04:00PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (579 Views) TGJB 08/04/2005 06:16PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (483 Views) 08/04/2005 07:30PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (582 Views) TGAB 08/06/2005 02:01PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (553 Views) Silver Charm 08/06/2005 11:31PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones (579 Views) TGJB 08/08/2005 04:48PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.