Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  2024 Kentucky Oaks/Derby Days Final Figures Churchill Downs May 3 & May 4, 2024 
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones (579 Views)
Posted by: TGJB (IP Logged)
Date: August 08, 2005 04:48PM

Okay, first things first--

I would suggest to anyone who is going to take the time to read this that they first read the top of this string, where I quoted Friedman's original post, and replied to it. Then you should go to the Ragozin board and read his 8/5 2:51 post "Re RE RE Question for Len", which went up while I was gone. I'll deal with that one quickly, if I have time I'll deal with the long boring one at a later time.

1-- First of all, you will note that in my post I asked several questions, none of which Len addressed. No surprise there.

2-- "...the truth remains that none of this can be settled by clever argument-- the only test is whether the numbers produce predictable results and that test takes place at the betting windows and not on BBs..."

a) Hence my repeated offers to have a handicapping contest over a long period of time with Len, and hence his declining repeatedly.

b) Hence my prediction of what the horses will do next time out-- it's a test, just like Len said, and if I'm right you will be able to see the results.

c) Actually, you can settle some things by debate-- that's why people do it. Like whether an approach makes logical sense, and whether a position is defensible, or just dogma-- that's what my QUESTIONS were all about. And all "blathering" aside, Len talked an awful lot without answering them. Again.

d) Len, please-- you keep talking about "success at the windows". Our guys have done astonishingly well in handicapping contests, and have won the last 3 NTRA National Championships. What the hell are you talking about? My guys are creaming yours in the only game where the the results are made public.

3-- You gotta love Len's Derek Jeter analogy. Except I wasn't talking about just one "player", I was talking about a group, and batting averages are purely statistical. There's no judgement involved-- UNLESS the conditions change.

Len, pay attention-- here's the correct baseball analogy:

A group of 10 players (not just one) plays in Colorado, and are traded to other teams. I say, conditions in Colorado are such that batting averages are inflated, I predict that at least seven of the 10 will hit at least 30 points worse next season. Get it? I am saying you need to apply a different variant to Colorado than Shea, for example. (And if you don't believe me, talk to Bill James).

My prediction was that 75% of the horses in the last two races on the day in question (with the exception of one horse I specified) would go forward at least 3 points next time out ON RAGOZIN, which is an awful lot, and an awful high percentage. I felt pretty safe, because if they did those races with the others, as Len says, they got them wrong by a lot more than that.

But tell you what, Len-- since you are basically taking the position that ANY horse that runs badly is likely to go forward next time ("regress to the norm"), let's do this-- lets also look at all the horses in the FIRST FOUR dirt races that day that ALSO ran at least 3 points off their tops, and compare the two groups. I will bet you that at least TWICE AS HIGH a percentage of the ones that ran in the last 2 races go forward at least 3 points on your figures. That's absolutely apples to apples, and if you are right, they should not. Right?

4-- Tell you what-- let's both respect the intelligence of our customers. I'm going to post the dirt races from the day in question, with the numers they ran. The last two took place after they sealed the track, and I used about a six point different variant than for the earlier races.

Len, why don't you do the same-- post the sheets for the day, with the numbers they ran, and let everyone take a look at just what we're talking about. And, not to sound like John McEnroe, why don't you just answer the damn questions?

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2005 07:53PM by TGJB.

Attachments: sar2799.pdf (733.3KB)  

Subject Written By Posted
Lotta Meat On Them Bones (1172 Views) TGJB 08/02/2005 08:18PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (641 Views) SoCalMan2 08/03/2005 10:45AM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (550 Views) 08/03/2005 01:57PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (540 Views) SoCalMan2 08/04/2005 06:18AM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (514 Views) 08/04/2005 08:51AM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (499 Views) SoCalMan2 08/04/2005 09:34AM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (505 Views) 08/04/2005 10:17AM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (544 Views) TGJB 08/04/2005 12:20PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (514 Views) SoCalMan2 08/04/2005 01:15PM
Re: bone-pickin' (550 Views) razzle 08/04/2005 08:45PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (472 Views) 08/04/2005 02:03PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (619 Views) TGJB 08/04/2005 02:17PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (504 Views) 08/04/2005 04:00PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (579 Views) TGJB 08/04/2005 06:16PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (483 Views) 08/04/2005 07:30PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (582 Views) TGAB 08/06/2005 02:01PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones -- Indulto (553 Views) Silver Charm 08/06/2005 11:31PM
Re: Lotta Meat On Them Bones (579 Views) TGJB 08/08/2005 04:48PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.