Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  The Modesty Stakes Churchill May 3, 2024  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (765 Views)
Posted by: TGJB (IP Logged)
Date: April 09, 2003 02:44PM

Marc,

I can't spend as much time on the board as I did yesterday, but this one could be productive.

1- The issue of "staying in one piece" I brought up in ROTW was in regard to the way top 3 year olds are pushed in the spring and through the triple crown, which very few survive-- they seldom become good older or grass horses. Buddy Gil has already had 3 hard races, and sure enough bled through Lasix Saturday (usually a sign of stress)-- and now faces a LOT more stress.

If the scenario you described were in effect-- if the ONE race in Feb had set him back--
it is much more likely he would have gone back in his last.

2- The whole point of my drawing attention to this stuff is that I DO know how fast the horses ran, and SHOULD have run on Ragozin (about 3 points slower)-- that's why I try to get them to post the figures. This is a parallel universe situation-- your acceptance of the premise that Ragozin figures are correct and therefore their methodologies must be correct, and explanations for their behavior justified, make my position an impossibility. I know, I was there, although even then I challenged more things than you guys do. So I try to get you guys to look at the data itself to point out the internal contradictions, and conflicts with basic logic (Chilukki, Keenland 4 1/2f races) that believing in what they do must produce. And I try to get them to post the races so that you guys can see what I see.

3- The "exception" paragraph-- this is worth a 2 page response on its own, and I havn't got the time. Let me just say this-- you are absolutely right that it would be wrong to place much reliance on Ragozin off-track figures, either as a bettor or in making future figures, because he simply gives out almost exclusively bad figures in those circumstances, and on windy days-- I would guess he assigns figures averaging at least 2 points slower (which is a lot) than on fast tracks, and there is no reason to believe it is justified. I have discussed this here before, but I don't have any idea where the post is.

The reason drying out and wet days are in the most dispute is because those are the days when the variant tends to change during the card, which is one of the things that is effectively not ALLOWED to happen under the rules the Ragozin office uses to make figures-- the use of broad averages is a big part of that. Hence the problems with the Chiluuki day, Wood 2000, Preakness day 2002, Storm Flag Flying last fall, Laurel 2/22, etc. If nothing is going on with the day (BC 2002) it's pretty easy to get it right. But the exceptions are the important part of what we do-- while I used the above examples on this board because they were dramatic because of the importance of the horses running, there are thousands of lesser examples.

And very often the figures from the disputed days play a pivotal role in future figure making-- FP's Wood figure detemined that years Derby figure, regardless of what Friedman says, and if you looked carefully at the Derby figures at the time you know that.

4-- BG jumped up a lot in that grass race on ours too. But both what the other horses in that race ran and what BG did pairing up in his very next start (a figure Ragozin and I agreed on) are pieces of evidence that our figure is right. And leaving aside both your position and the far more negative one of several Ragozin players, Friedman thought he was just one of 6 contenders in the SA Derby, while I said he was "the horse to beat". Proof? No. Evidence? To some degree.

5- Your follow up point goes in the right direction, but not far enough-- the horses from those races will spread out into other races, and be used to make future figures, and since Ragozin ties days together to an extreme degree, LOTS of figures have to be affected anytime there is a mistake.

TGJB

Subject Written By Posted
Buddy Gill's grass number (1060 Views) TGJB 04/08/2003 03:40PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (601 Views) Marc At 04/08/2003 04:16PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (725 Views) Marc At 04/08/2003 04:30PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (679 Views) Marc At 04/08/2003 05:41PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (658 Views) TGJB 04/08/2003 05:47PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (765 Views) TGJB 04/09/2003 02:44PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (703 Views) Marc At 04/09/2003 03:58PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (667 Views) Silver Charm 04/09/2003 04:07PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (720 Views) HP 04/09/2003 04:27PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (688 Views) TGJB 04/09/2003 04:26PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (735 Views) Marc At 04/09/2003 04:31PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (767 Views) TGJB 04/10/2003 04:49PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.