Your Ask The Experts ID
is separate from your
Order Online Account ID
 Race of the Week:  The Modesty Stakes Churchill May 3, 2024  • 2 Specials Available
Order Online
Buy TG Data
Complete Menu of
TG Data products
Simulcast Books
Customize a Value
Package of Select
TG Data
Sheet Requests
Order The Last Figure for Any Horse
Free Products
Redboard Room
Download and Review previous days' data.
Race of the Week
With detailed comments
ThoroTrack
Email notification when your horse races
Information
Introduction
For newcomers.
Samples and Tutorials
For Horsemen
Consulting services and Graph Racing
Sales Sites
Where to buy TG around the country
Archives
Historical races and handicapping articles
Handicapping
Hall of Fame
Major handicapping contest winners
Home Page
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (703 Views)
Posted by: Marc At (IP Logged)
Date: April 09, 2003 03:58PM

TGJB,

Appreciate your tone on this, sincerely.

"If the scenario you described were in effect-- if the ONE race in Feb had set him back--
it is much more likely he would have gone back in his last."

I see your point but I've seen plenty of 3-yr-olds run one scary fast race on Ragozin and take 2-3 races to fall apart, with the only super-fast number being that one... And I think Buddy went backwards on Saturday...

"This is a parallel universe situation-- your acceptance of the premise that Ragozin figures are correct and therefore their methodologies must be correct, and explanations for their behavior justified, make my position an impossibility."

I think "correct" is too strong a word. I think "figures that I'm most comfortable with that I have the most success with," makes more sense. I also the parallel universe goes both ways, of course.

"conflicts with basic logic (Chilukki, Keenland 4 1/2f races) that believing in what they do must produce."

I think many Ragozin players think this isn't "basic" logic, but logic applied to the most unusual of situations. I will certainly say that any figures culled from 4.5 furlong races should certainly have ~ next to them...

"And I try to get them to post the races so that you guys can see what I see."

When was the last time this worked?

"Let me just say this-- you are absolutely right that it would be wrong to place much reliance on Ragozin off-track figures, either as a bettor or in making future figures,"

If you want to argue your methodology is better for off-tracks or drying out tracks, you certainly know more than I on this stuff. Can I suggest you have yoru own dogma at work here, and it results in more horses running well on your numbers on these surfaces, as compared to Ragozin? But long before I became a Sheets player I started taking just about everything about off-track performances with a grain of salt... You seem much more comfortable trying to tackle the nuances of drying out tracks than anyone else out there, in applying yoru methodologies quite aggressively, and I'm not convinced that's such a good thing.

"The reason drying out and wet days are in the most dispute is because those are the days when the variant tends to change during the card,"

Right, and the question is whether it changes as much as you say, or not as much as you say.

"which is one of the things that is effectively not ALLOWED to happen under the rules the Ragozin office uses to make figures"

This is where a lot of Ragozin players disagree with you. Rather consistently in the last couple years, when pressed on this point, Friedman has noted that specific drying out surfaces are indeed changing speed. He doesn't think they change as much as you do, but he DOES think they change. I believe the Ragozin book does indeed note that this happens.

"FP's Wood figure detemined that years Derby figure, regardless of what Friedman says, and if you looked carefully at the Derby figures at the time you know that."

I strongly suspect there is a more comprehensive explanation for the Derby figures that year than FP's number in the Wood.

"But both what the other horses in that race ran and what BG did pairing up in his very next start (a figure Ragozin and I agreed on) are pieces of evidence that our figure is right."

Sorry, I don't find that evidence all that compelling.

"And leaving aside both your position and the far more negative one of several Ragozin players,"

I'll be happy to introduce you to a couple other Ragozin players who didn't read Buddy's line so poorly.

You make some interesting points, but when so many of the arguments are about drying out tracks and 4.5 furlong races, my skepticism remains high.

Subject Written By Posted
Buddy Gill's grass number (1061 Views) TGJB 04/08/2003 03:40PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (601 Views) Marc At 04/08/2003 04:16PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (726 Views) Marc At 04/08/2003 04:30PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (679 Views) Marc At 04/08/2003 05:41PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (658 Views) TGJB 04/08/2003 05:47PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (766 Views) TGJB 04/09/2003 02:44PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (703 Views) Marc At 04/09/2003 03:58PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (667 Views) Silver Charm 04/09/2003 04:07PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (720 Views) HP 04/09/2003 04:27PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (688 Views) TGJB 04/09/2003 04:26PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (735 Views) Marc At 04/09/2003 04:31PM
Re: Buddy Gill's grass number (767 Views) TGJB 04/10/2003 04:49PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Thoro-Graph 180 Varick Street New York, NY 10014 ---- Click here for the Ask The Experts Archives.